Hall of Fame Clean-Up

icon

As most of you would know, the same few artists have been dominating the Hall of Fame for a while now and we believe that this is unacceptable. Therefore we will be removing all of the artwork on the first page of the hall of fame within the next few days. This will hopefully level the playing field a bit and allow for other artists to get the recognition they deserve.

The artists to have their work removed are as follows:

Snake
ThereIsNoCure
-DE-
robotriot
Wayuki
Tremulant
Gas13

We apologise deeply to the artists who will have their work removed, we hope you understand our position. This was a very difficult decision for us to make. If you are one of the members listed above and feel as though you want to resubmit your artwork after the 'clean-up', then you may do so. But please do not all resubmit them at once, as it may cause the weekly showcase to get a bit clogged.

-Regards, the PJ administration.

APRIL FOOLS PART 2!

Posted by skamocore @ 4/1/2009 23:52  |    78

Discussion

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 4/5/2009 23:05

It should just randomize between any pieces that got a monthly trophy?

Blick (Level 6 Commander) @ 4/5/2009 19:55

Seriously though. I see my effing shark on the sidebar everyday. It would be nice to have a yearly hall of fame. Or make it so the sidebar cycles a larger variation.

I'm so tired of that shark.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/5/2009 17:12

because in PixelJoint, everynight is April's fool!

DJD (Level 4 Button Man) @ 4/5/2009 10:29

touche, great point. Especially in the last couple of weeks. wtf, and such

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/5/2009 01:07

Sadly, NPA is still being accepted, and crap is well recieved, aprils fool or not.

DJD (Level 4 Button Man) @ 4/3/2009 23:23

lol, you know it's a good prank when people call it a really bad/stupid/etc. prank. It was a great prank, because the first two (the pillow-shading weekly and the NPA being accepted) were duds and this one was perfectly designed to really upset people into believing it was real. C'mon, you gotta give administration to have weighed in on community input plus realized how dumb of an idea that would have been in the case of actually doing it. Take it like the gullible men we can be. PJ, well played.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/3/2009 22:57

dude SF4? i'm still playing Yie Air Kung fu.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 4/3/2009 17:34

lol, I see someone still hasn't beaten the addiction of SF4...

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 4/3/2009 16:31

Jesus, we didn't tell you that your parents are dead.  Get a sense of humor.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 4/3/2009 16:10

Too late B.O.B

Now your going to get a Focus Attack Dash Cancel into ShamWow *

Dex (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/3/2009 14:03

it doesn't matter, this shouldn't have even been brought up to begin with

sorry, the joke wasn't funny at all, it was just...ugh..

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 4/3/2009 12:37

Come on you guys, you have to give the mods more credit than this. Would you really believe us to be the sort that would remove pieces that have earned their right to stay in the Hall of Fame?....seriously...

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/3/2009 10:33

just to make it more clear:

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/3/2009 08:44

not realy funny... sorry guys :/

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 4/3/2009 05:46

Part 2... hilarious. XD

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 4/3/2009 04:38

Looks like the joke was on the mods:0

just kidding ;)

Talon IceHawk (Level 1 Seaman) @ 4/3/2009 01:14

This was a little too drastic to be a joke, if you ask me. Seriously >_>

Badassbill (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 4/3/2009 00:35

Don't jokes have to be funny? Maybe I'm missing something.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 4/3/2009 00:24

Meh, too late in the day to be a proper april fools joke.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 4/3/2009 00:19

Bastards :D

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/3/2009 00:10

Damn, that was a good one, though, you sure had everyone stirred up.

Regardless, consider some of the comments here. =]

2dgamers (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 4/2/2009 23:11

Awesome... it's about time! It sure would be nice to see a few stick figures and random shapes make it to the top of the page! Just kidding!

I do feel it would make the site look a bit "newer" if images changed around a bit. Good idea!

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 4/2/2009 23:09

Damn, I have to admit this hoodwinked me. Wait, what?

RoboBOT (Level 7 Captain) @ 4/2/2009 22:17

Haha, that's hilarious. Well put, DJD.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 4/2/2009 22:15

Holy crap you guys, seriously...

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 4/2/2009 21:29

So it's way past April Fool's... official confirmation if this was a joke or not?

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 4/2/2009 20:17

not all of these are active members who will reup their pieces.  is it good to throw away art because the hall of fame system has flaws?  does this not just make room for the second and third pages - just as inactive and inflated - to take the places of the first?  It seems like there could be as easily a way to just change the ratings on them, rather than take them all down.  I'm also in favor of the change the system idea being presented.  Anything to not see good art vanish.

DJD (Level 4 Button Man) @ 4/2/2009 20:07

haha, just think if real art galleries did this.

"We're sorry to inform you, but all pieces by Monet, Suerat, Chagall, Da Vinci, Matisse, Dali, Renoir, Picasso, and Van Gogh will be properly burned in a fire started with old newspapers and cheap alcohol. We apologize to the following artists, but because they are dead we don't think they'll really mind. Also, I didn't really -get- Dali's work anyway, so nuts to him."

Jaeden (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 4/2/2009 19:42

I understand completely and think its a great thing that its finally getting rotated for others to endulge in the spotlight. You need a new ribbon for those of us getting removed :-p

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/2/2009 19:34

That's a nice idea. I don't think favorites should be factored in though, simply because people don't always 'favorite' pieces just because they like them a lot, but for purposes such as studying or easy access or such.

NaCl (Level 3 Hatchet Man) @ 4/2/2009 18:39

(average score) + (0.01 x number of ratings) + (-0.01 x days since submission)

The average score is increased for how many ratings it has, anddecreased for how many days it has been submitted. Of course 0.01 and -0.01 are just made up numbers, I don't really know how many ratings any piece has. Also, you could factor in how many favorites a piece has gotten.

With this system, old pieces would keep rotting out of the front page as the ratings it recieves slow down, and newer pieces would move to the top because they don't have a big negative factor pulling it down. The exact coefficients for each factor could be determined without too much trouble if you could see how many ratings a piece has and it's average score.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/2/2009 17:26

In my opinion I agree that there needs to be a limit to reach the 'Famous' rating, and after that, points/rating can no longer be gained. It's clear those pieces are top notch. After that, I propose the pieces get randomly shifted around every time you attempt to view them or refresh the page or so, so that all the art in the hall of fame has a virtually equal chance of 'getting the spotlight'.

That's an idea for the all-time Hall of Fame, if it's staying. Personally, I like it. But, others will still be able to vote through it, and the authors that aren't on the front page usually deserve the spotlight too, hence why I think it should be randomized.

Joke or not, this is something I think needs to be discussed anyway.

Dex (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/2/2009 13:55

This is the lamest thing I've ever heard and if it's not fake then you guys will lose some of my respect. :/

I mean, yeah, we all hate having artwork get overlooked, but there surely is a better solution than deleting the great pieces that have sat on the site forever! I'm all for Lollige's idea: let the hall of fame box become a "highest rated pieces for 2009" box for this year, and then the pieces there will get the ratings and appreciation they deserve. Surely not as much as the ones who've been in the hall of fame for 3 years have, but they'll definitely get more than one weekly showcase allots.

As it stands I think this was not as much as a joke as it was for you guys to get us to suggest how we thought the ratings should go, but who knows. Just listen to the others and myself- don't delete the pieces. Make a smarter decision!

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 4/2/2009 12:35

I indeed would like to hav ethe rating optional too. Also, there are a lot op people browsing trough the HoF Fool.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/2/2009 11:17

And Pj gets SkamocoreRolled.

Fool (Level 6 SWAT) @ 4/2/2009 10:56

I think it is a wonderful idea - second wave of fame in showcase.=)) Who are browsing through HoF anyway. (went  to re-submmit  stuff)

Seriously, I really wish the rating will be  optional and left up to the artist.

vampireslug (Level 5 Detective) @ 4/2/2009 10:39

Ahhh... I saw "posted by skamocore at 4/2/2009 2:51:34 AM" - and thought, the 2nd? Surely this can't be an April Fools joke.  Man, if it is a joke I'll admit I was fished in.  If not, I stand by everything I said.  Whatever.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 4/2/2009 10:28

4/2/2009 12:51:34 AM.

Not the best joke to me. Jokes should be funny.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 4/2/2009 10:04

April Fools jokes only 'work' til 12pm noon though.

Jelayer (Level 1 Depressed) @ 4/2/2009 09:58

Regardless of this obvious joke...

I do agree that a "yearly showcase" would resolve some of the real issues of the hall of fame.

Zenobia (Level 1 Rookie) @ 4/2/2009 09:52

Ah damnit I have "Posted by skamocore at 4/2/2009 12:51:34 AM" but I didn't think about timezones...

Must be a joke then. Still though, a new system isn't a bad idea. Though this idea was ridiculous of course.

Peach (Level 6 Made) @ 4/2/2009 09:38

damn u on post date! ARGH

why damn you don't write it as "posted on XY GMT" or whatever... asd

remember kids: GMT+1 does NOT suck :P

FrankieSmileShow (Level 6 Manager) @ 4/2/2009 09:34

hah that sounds dumb to me, either you guys didnt think this through or its an april fool's joke

If artists want their art to remain in their gallery, theyll have to repost them, and in that way will hog the weekly and monthly showcases instead, and will probably regain the votes they had anyhow!

But the idea of making the big showcase a yearly showcase instead is pretty good. Like not reset on every january first, but always showcasing pixel art since one year before, like today it would be april 2nd 2008 to april 2nd 2009. That would make sense and wouldnt take away anyone's art. Id also make it so that you can see the all-time top showcase still if you made a search for it, but id make the "hall of fame" show yearly results by default.

Also heh if its serious, april 1rst really is the worst day to post an announcement...

(thinking about it, april first is also the worst day to get into any freak accident)

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 4/2/2009 09:30

"... unless Dogmeat is back as admin ..."

shmupstick (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 4/2/2009 09:25

Well, maybe it's a time-zone thing. This is definately a joke.

"Posted by skamocore at 4/1/2009 11:51:34"

sharprm (Level 4 Deputy) @ 4/2/2009 09:22

Of course it's an April Fools joke ... unless Dogmeat is back as admin ...

edit: peach - I guess its timezone dependent ...

Peach (Level 6 Made) @ 4/2/2009 09:19

I do read: Posted by skamocore at 4/2/2009 8:51:34 AM

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 4/2/2009 09:16

Hey, whoa whoa there, let's not do something crazy now. O_O

And I don't think this is an April Fools joke, because there's been talk about doing this for a while now. Nothing really happened of it. But I dunno, I guess it could be... o_O

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 4/2/2009 09:12

just re-read the post.. firstly thought, you just wanted to exclude them from being displayed in the hall of fame, but damn, fully deleting 'em sucks big way!

what's with the awards, faves, comments they recieved. and the awards they'll deffo recieve the 2nd time the are uploaded? and whats in 1 year time from now? are you deleting the 2nd load of pictures?

removing the best pieces (yepp, there is an intersection between the best and the highest rated) while the pillowshaded bullshit will stay in the gallery forever?

there must be less bumbling way to solve this 'problem' - can't you just delete the rating these pieces have received, or better: generally just store the ratings, a piece has recieved within the last 2 years or something?

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 4/2/2009 08:48

I don't know what the points total on some of these works are but if they're always showcased, more people will tend to look at them closer and give them yet more points, yet the great ones on page 2, 3 or 4 will never keep up because they're not on the front page.

An idea:  Maybe once a peice has reached 10000 points, 50000 points or whatever it gets rotated daily, weekly.  Another words, it gets in that top pool.

This problem is really showing how pixeljoint is really growing, and that's a good thing.  Don't try to shrink it.  Go with it!

I don't think deletion is the answer.

of 2

This Week's Pixel Art

Mystical Observatory icon/pixelartWitchcraft icon/pixelartTouhou 6 game boy icon/pixelartBreath of The Wild Sprites icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app