Newgrounds Art

icon

Newgrounds.com, a site that used to be only for flash movies/games and music, has now added an art section.

Users can submit up to 20 works of art, and then if an established artist likes your work, they will add it to the gallery. The gallery has 5 sections: Ilustration, Fine Art, 3D Art, Pixel Art, and Other.

You can also choose to allow people to use your art for their works, like games or movies. Really just another way to get your art seen, and by possibly different people. I know some of you already know about it, because I've seen some recognizable art there. They also have a very nice upload/crop system.

Newgrounds News post about the gallery:

Newgrounds Pixel Art Gallery:

Posted by skeddles @ 6/24/2009 12:14  |    28

Discussion

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 6/28/2009 23:52

i cant  stop seeing the "rating everything" system as a weapon of mass vengance when you give a bad critique/score.

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 6/28/2009 21:23

Except for the old pixelation :P Nothing neutral about purple!

crab2selout.png (Level 4 Deputy) @ 6/28/2009 15:13

Site's not bad. I think I'll wait a couple months to see what they do with the place. The dim the lights options shows they know the busy layout is a problem when viewing the art. It seems like they'll really need to overhaul the site theme for the art section if they're serious about it.  Just about every art site I know has a neutral background and minimal junk bordering around the art.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 6/27/2009 10:47

quality control will be a factor, but i think most important is that if better art is posted, worse at won't be as much.  A site like this has a massive userbase and while there is decidedly more direction to it, the bulk submitted here is good work.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 6/27/2009 03:05

I am still surprised the ooold newgrounds account i have is still active.

minipuck (Level 2 Corporal) @ 6/27/2009 00:43

they've had somesort of cleanup, yesterday there were 177 pixel pieces, and now only 152, and there were also some added, so it's going in the good direction.

mdkcde (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/26/2009 19:41

Some of the worse stuff on deviant art looks better than they are putting there. Its like they don't even know what pixel art is

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 6/26/2009 19:19

Well maybe we just need to whip it into shape / Give the gallery a good start.

I like it because it's different than PJ, because you just submit your best works. And the cropping is awesome. Lol.

BlackDragon (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/26/2009 10:15

^^ My icon, yay :P

Anyway that's actually pretty cool.

minipuck (Level 2 Corporal) @ 6/26/2009 05:59

Domobot (Level 1 Depressed) @ 6/26/2009 05:56

Maybe I'm just impatient, but I wonder how much longer I have to wait to be scouted. A lot of worse stuff than mine has made it in before my stuff, so I do wonder if whether or not one gets scouted will turn into a popularity contest...

Oh, and they deleted my Santa gif for violating their terms. Not specific on how, though. Maybe they thought it was stolen?

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/26/2009 04:16

You need to get scouted first by some already scouted artist. See the FAQ

minipuck (Level 2 Corporal) @ 6/26/2009 02:07

i somehow don't see my pixelart in the gallery, i did submit it tho. And i did say i want it in the public gallery, does anyone else see it in the gallery? should be on the first seen page on date.

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 6/25/2009 22:47

yea, I bothered and reported over 10 already

Savaril (Level 1 Depressed) @ 6/25/2009 17:10

Did anybody else notice how much non-pixel art there is in the pixel art section?

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 6/25/2009 14:23

I could edit my pixelart there and link to pixeljoint if you want, as I'm owning there scorewise (yet)

Mykola (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/25/2009 11:32

i love newgrounds really, their flash gallery is unmatched.. but right now their pixelart gallery seems worse than deviantart's.. i hope they get their shit straight.. not submitting anytime soon otherwise

as it stands now theres less actual pixelart there than oekaki crap and just random stuff. plus the quality of some of the work there is dubious.. i mean.. whats the point of moderating it then anyway

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 6/25/2009 10:55

Yes, it would be a good opportunity to bring a whole new audience to PixelJoint. You should get the best artists here to submit one thing, leave a link to pixeljoint to help entice people in.

Vic (Level 5 Sniper) @ 6/25/2009 10:49

wow, its deviantart all over again

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 6/25/2009 09:06

best thing we could do is that we all leave a link in our pieces to PJ/pixelation

cerealkiller54 (Level 6 Made) @ 6/25/2009 08:03

Eugh...
I really don't like the Newgrounds community...

If I ever feel so inclined, I might try it out, but for now I think I'll just stick to the Joint.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 6/25/2009 07:27

I guess it can't hurt to get some new exposure and see what a different audience thinks of the things we make.

minipuck (Level 2 Corporal) @ 6/25/2009 04:58

yes but this is what they say about the wisdom sword

"The art portal is intended to be filled with quality work that shows effort and actual artistic vision and skill. This is overly simple, poorly made pixel art."

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 6/25/2009 03:39

Goes to show that if you want to see pixel art, this is the place to come. :)

Ndsfreak (Level 5 Soldier) @ 6/25/2009 03:34

God, some of the things here are so terrible, they're an insult to pixelart.

Jesus, look at these!

And they are JPEGed as well, so it doubles the blow

xXHalfieXx (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 6/25/2009 03:29

HAHAHAHAHA!! Met strikes again!

"this shit is not even pixel art. making it on MSPaint doesnt not make it pixel Art, just in case."

minipuck (Level 2 Corporal) @ 6/25/2009 03:20

it's already full of elk's works xD

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/25/2009 03:18

Kongregate, the flash game portal has recently opened their art gallery too. I have submitted some work there, and wil take a look here too.

Kongregate.com

This Week's Pixel Art

Thief Gal icon/pixelartLonely Gal icon/pixelartDancer icon/pixelartTree study icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app