Pixel Art Challenge: What Happens on the Moon

icon

Last week was the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 crew returning back to Earth.

Therefore, we want you to create a scene showing what happened on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission while the cameras were off; what did we not see? What did the astronauts not tell us about?

Be creative - your scene does not need to be entirely realistic (in fact it can be downright ridiculous if you want). For example, you could pixel a scene where Neil Armstrong is sitting on the moon's surface with a laptop and logging onto Pixel Joint.

Don't forget to check out the Apollo 11 Wikipedia article for further information on the moon landing.

Canvas Size - Max 120 x 180. Either horizontal or vertical.
Colours - Max 36. Use only colours from the palette provided below, you may use transparency. Colours are taken from this image.

Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 7/27/2009 00:04  |    13

Discussion

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 7/28/2009 09:56

This palette is too dark for my crt monitor.  Unfortunately I'm on this one most of the day.  Maybe I'll brighten up the palette and then bring it back down to the palette provided when it's done.  Anyone else find these dark?

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 7/27/2009 20:55

This is an interesting challenge.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 7/27/2009 17:38

Yes, you may show the moon landing set in a film studio if you want to show the moon landing was a hoax.

Feron (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 7/27/2009 17:13

can we pixel a film studio??

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 7/27/2009 16:48

@Skeddles:

Your claim seems to be a bit baseless, as others have mentioned. Apollo 11 is not exactly something I would label 'American', it was far more than that. Yes, all three astronauts were American, but they represented 'humanity'. This is what the plaque, which they left on the moon, reads:

"HERE MEN FROM THE PLANET EARTH
FIRST SET FOOT UPON THE MOON
JULY 1969 A.D.
WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND"

Also, what other challenges are you claiming to be 'American'? I've looked through all the challenges that have been done this year and I have tried to list the ones that could be considered to have a nationality/region tied to their origin:

• Tall Bunyan - American origin.
  • The creatures Noah Forgot - Middle Eastern.
  • The Tooth Fairy; Cards alive - European.
  • Game Boy Turns 20; Music Game DS Mockup - Japanese.
  • Easter (Island) - Chilean.
  • CGA Cyclops - Greek.

Tall Bunyan is the only one this year which I consider to be an 'American' challenge. I'm taking American to mean USA btw, which I assume is what you meant.

Regardless, I'll take your suggestion and try for more international challenges in the future.

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 7/27/2009 12:54

The race to the moon was more global than anything... In fact, I don't think we would have gotten there as soon as we did if it wasn't because so many countries were racing to get there. Also, when it comes to space, I never really take into consideration countries and such... because when compared to space it all seems very, very small.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 7/27/2009 12:09

Sure Neil Armstrong might have been the first american to land in the moon, America might have been the first to have someone in space, etc.

But when he took that first step out of Apollo 11, it wasn't just a giant leap for America, it was a giant leap for mankind.

That sounds to me like it was an achievement more on the global scale, rather than national.

I'm sure if any other country had achieved the same thing, there wouldn't be any discrimination. This challenge wouldn't be any different.

Although, America has achieved a lot, it's a very known and strong country, it shouldn't be a surprise that a few challenges revolve around one of it's many historical events.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 7/27/2009 10:54

Sounds kinda cool. But I think in later challenges we should aim for things that are less american.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/27/2009 02:58

Inb4 moon chicks :D

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 7/27/2009 01:24

D: I knew there was something wrong...

*changes*

thanks.

TheManuz (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 7/27/2009 01:24

I think that the color number is a typo. The "4" key is really close to the "3" key!

Anyway, interesting challenge. I hope i get a nice idea, and the will to pixel something (the hot weather kills my creativity!).

Damian (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 7/27/2009 01:20

I'm confused with the amount of colours, so it must be a mistake on your part as there are only 35 colours +transparency which = a grand total of 36 colours. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 7/27/2009 00:30

Awesome challenge WINS.

This Week's Pixel Art

the Squid icon/pixelartSwordsman icon/pixelartPrince Ezekiel icon/pixelartAvatar in Pixel Art from Omen of Sorrow (PS4 / PC) icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app