Pixel Art Challenge: World Leader Caricature

Create a caricature of one of the current world leaders listed on this page. As it is a caricature you should be trying to emphasise and de-emphasise certain characteristics in order to depict your chosen leader. It does not have to be the leader of your own country. Also, please make sure to tell us in your description who your leader is.

Bonus points for not doing Barack Obama*
*not really.

This piece by Jalonso may give you inspiration for this challenge.

Canvas Size - Max 128 x 128.
Colours - Max 32.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - No.

Posted by skamocore @ 8/3/2009 00:02  |    25

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 8/6/2009 09:35

Sure, but the leader should remain the focus of the image.

asukicco (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 8/6/2009 09:09

Can I put the Leader with a second person to emphasise a habit of him? (like going out with escorts?)

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 8/6/2009 00:03

YES!   lml (>.<) lml

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) @ 8/5/2009 17:06

@skamocore, it was a joke :D...  (if you still dont get the joke), well im from venezuela...

sharprm (Level 4 Deputy) @ 8/5/2009 14:17

'Nuclear war' for amiga could be some good inspiration. http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/nuclear-war/screenshots/gameShotId,203757/

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 8/5/2009 08:17

@ ui_ - What do you mean? If you are saying that he is not on the list, well...he is. If you were searching for Chavez then you won't find anything, but if you look for Chávez, then you should be able to find him. I assume that's what you're refering to, otherwise, I'm still confused.

@Hatch/onek - the canvas restrictions are in regular square pixels as always.

@jamesmorrow07 - You can enter as many as you like.

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) @ 8/5/2009 07:04

And Bonus points for not doing Chavez!!!

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 8/4/2009 06:57

I don't understand why a 256x128 widepixel wouldn't be accepted. You're still working with 128*128 pixels, it's just that our monitors can't display them properly, so we have to cheat by stretching them. The 256 is completely artificial.

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 8/4/2009 06:51

Sorry, Skamocore, there isn't the space available to do what I have in my head, but I am making it in Flash and a fun pic anyway.

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 8/4/2009 00:48

I think I'monna give this one a shot.

Say. How many pieces can yew enter?

onek (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/4/2009 00:17

ah ok, thx, but i think im gonna do a widepixel, post it in normal resolution and make a link to the widepixel version then

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 8/3/2009 22:51

@Elk - Dalai Lama would be cool but unfortunately no. I'm sure you can think of other leaders you would like to do D:

@Inq - >( Do it.

@onek - No, but you could do 64 x 128 in widepixel.

Elk (Level 3 Stalker) @ 8/3/2009 22:38

A wite pixel piece doesn't have to be bigger than the canvas...don't understand you there

Argyle (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 8/3/2009 18:59

128x128 is the final canvas size's limitation, so no to a wider canvas to accomodate widepixel tech.

onek (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/3/2009 16:48

im thinking on entering this one.... already have an idea, im planning to do a wide pixel piece... so would it be ok to do 256x 128 px, technically  that would be 128 x 128 than?

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 8/3/2009 14:26

Count me in...or at least I'll try and get an entry done in time. I knew which leader I wanted to do the second I read the instructions. :D

....or maybe not. The image size restrictions are much too small for my liking on this one.

Elk (Level 3 Stalker) @ 8/3/2009 11:42

I want to do the Dalai lama :(

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 8/3/2009 08:12

Only current leaders. So yes, just the ones on that list.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/3/2009 08:05

Is the list mandatory? Meaning, no past leaders?

I've always loved the Jimmy Carter and the Killer Rabbit story.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 8/3/2009 03:13

No, just one image per submission. If you make multiple caricatures post them individually.

Also, yes you can do a background, especially if it helps to emphasise your leader's traits - if your leader likes fish maybe put them in a fish tank surrounded by fish, for example. But make sure the focus still remains on the person.

asukicco (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 8/3/2009 03:06

This is great! I'm gonna partecipate. Can I put different caricatures of the same leader in a single piece? (Also, are scenes/bgs allowed?)

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 8/3/2009 02:43

Whatever you think works best.

Quake (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 8/3/2009 02:15

Does it need to be a portrait, or full body?

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 8/3/2009 00:54

Either. For example, if you are doing someone particularly crazy, emphasise their craziness.

Have a good look around at some examples of caricatures for inspiration.

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 8/3/2009 00:26

What do you mean by characteristics? Is it the physical part or is it like what he/she does? Just wondering.

This Week's Pixel Art

Bacteriophage icon/pixelartSage icon/pixelartDreamblazers: Zanari Arcadian icon/pixelartEntrance icon/pixelart