Pixel Art Challenge: Life After People

icon

Dex's challenge idea comes from the History Channel's popular TV Show, Life After People. The idea is to pixel a famous location as it would look years after humans have left the earth. You need to make sure this area is a historic or known location.

You can pick any number of years or days from this list. Pixel how your chosen location would be affected by Mother Nature. Some ideas are: A shrub-infested Lincoln Memorial, the collapse of Stonehenge, or the San Fransisco bridge after being abandoned for years. Be creative!

Canvas size - Max 320 (width) x 240 (height).
Colors - Max 32.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

Posted by Blueberry_pie @ 9/28/2009 00:01  |    15

Discussion

TioLuko (Level 5 Detective) @ 10/2/2009 13:02

Mine will be the Golden Gate bridge...

but i dont really know if it looks fine...will be hard.

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 9/29/2009 13:05

I think I'll make a post-apocalyptic (maybe a nuclear war) city.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 9/29/2009 06:13

If humans just suddenly vanished, think of the mess cities would look like seconds after.

On the contrary, I foresee unoriginal centuries-old ruins in jungles...

sharprm (Level 4 Deputy) @ 9/29/2009 03:46

Cool comp but i don't think i will enter. Monkeys in parliament. Or a moose in a library. etc.

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 9/29/2009 01:23

I guess a single day would work as long as there's a significant difference (caused by the absence of humans). Just make sure you depict the kind of situation they'd feature in the show and you're good.

yrizoud (Level 6 SWAT) @ 9/28/2009 16:32

It's not easy to convey the feeling of abnormal inactivity with a simple static image.

onek (Level 6 Hitman) @ 9/28/2009 15:03

thats an awsome challenge , maybe im in, we'll see...

darchangel (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 9/28/2009 14:09

What a coincidence...I was just watching that program the other day and thought this would be cool for a pixel challenge...I even thought of what I would do for it...

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 9/28/2009 14:03

Days could work if you're using a place which is heavily populated. I think it would still be very interesting to see a usually crowded area completely deserted. Also, read the entry for Day 2 in the wikipedia article.

Dex (Level 11 CEO) @ 9/28/2009 13:09

Hm, Dusty makes a good point with what he says...

I'm discouraging the use of DAYS, but if you really feel like being unoriginal, be my guest. ;o

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 9/28/2009 07:21

It said days could be acceptable... though days seems like it leaves room open for people to just pixel famous locations and not really include the whole abandoned aspect.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 9/28/2009 06:22

Too bad, that... although it might well be famous, among the neighborhood cockroaches.

Well, ok, just kidding, it's not that bad, come back people!

And: You can pick any number of years or days from this list. I think there are good opportunities there.

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 9/28/2009 06:13

and @Manupix

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 9/28/2009 06:12

Interesting challenge, but I will take a nap before I start. Maybe I will see dreams about what I should pixel.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 9/28/2009 02:23

I could draw my own kitchen and just label it '10 days'!

This Week's Pixel Art

space icon/pixelartOrnament in Orben's temple icon/pixelartFat Dinosaur icon/pixelartportrait icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app