Just in time for Xmas

If you've wanted a tablet to pixel with, now is the time to add this cheap (US$70) tablet to your list.

Ergonomically designed tablet with a wireless scroll mouse (2 buttons) for easy drawing, handwriting, sketching, coloring and picture editing. Design, write, draw, sketch, all with the sleek and affordable CyberTablet 6400. This ergonomically designed graphics tablet includes a scroll mouse and a 6" x 4" work space, that lets you naturally draw and write freehand graphics and text as comfortably as you would on real paper.

While the Wacom line of tablets is far superior in quality most of their features are useless for pixelart so this tablet makes for a great alternative.

Posted by jalonso @ 12/9/2009 12:14  |    17

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 12/13/2009 03:55

Actually the Wacom Bamboo has quick keys to which I've assigned CTRL and Z.

Which is awesome, because not only do I have undo at my fingertips, but also the eyedropper.
Plus, the zoom wheel is great too.

Really, just spend a few bucks more on a Wacom. It's a purchase you won't regret.

EDIT: Plus, can we really trust a tablet creator that has such a horrible logo? :P

EDIT EDIT: Oh, and a Wacom Bamboo, the previous generation which I own, which is awesome is only 58$ on Amazon. Easy choice.

bitswitcher (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 12/12/2009 09:02

i have an bamboo, and i think its a few time better than this

Jabberwock (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 12/11/2009 04:06

Looks like TRUST tablet.

I used one, it sucks.

Now I using Genius, it not so bad versus Wacom, as seamingly.

Necroleachate (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 12/10/2009 06:52

You can get a wacom bamboo for the same price of this one. I've been using a genius tablet, it's not bad but, the big downside of these cheaper tablets (besides resolution and pressure levels) is that they use AAA batteries inside the pen, which wacom does not.

Evilagram (Level 3 Hatchet Man) @ 12/10/2009 06:43

I do regular digital art, so my Wacom Intuos3 9x12 is indispensable.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 12/10/2009 01:00

I have also had a cheaper tablet (and they are reselling it), but it broke for me quite quickly. But someone else (who does not use it to draw but just instead of a mouse) has the same one and thatone works for over 4 years already now.

Oh well...

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 12/9/2009 17:11

I'm getting a Wacom Bamboo tablet after I finish a painting for a friend. Sooo excited!  :D

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/9/2009 15:56

I posted this for others to be aware of stuff and is not an endorsement of the product at all. Matter of fact, I'm a Wacom user and fan and have only used Wacom (Intous and graphire).

manxana (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 12/9/2009 15:08

I got myself a genius tablet, and costed me less than that, and it's pretty good, I've use it a lot and it still works fine.

Anyways, thanks Jalonso for the tip on tablets!

delta4.gamma2 (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 12/9/2009 14:55

Ive been using an Wacom intuos 4 Medium, and it works really well, great for pixeling, photoshop, and all other functions on the computer, i never use a mouse anymore.

Zeratanus (Level 4 Deputy) @ 12/9/2009 13:51

Yeah, when it comes to pixel art I sketch out and do outlines and such with my tablet. Once I have the general shape I'm going for down it really doesn't make a difference past that point, though I'm used to the tablet so I can move it around to place pixels faster than I would by mouse. I draw a ton traditionally and digitally, so it's just more natural to me, but there's not really an advantage. For doing stuff like dithering though where the placement is precise and repetative I always go for the mouse. In those cases making sure you're moving the stylus the correct amount each time takes more time than with a mouse.

Petrichor (Level 3 Enforcer) @ 12/9/2009 13:44

I switch back and forth between my mouse and my tablet depending on what I'm doing. I use a Wacom Bamboo which is compact, USB powered, has function keys... and I paid about as much for it as the tablet in this post cost. I think the workspace might be a little smaller but with pixel art that's hardly a concern--and I do very largescale digital painting with it too, so really it's not even a huge drawback there. It even came with a wireless mouse and Painter.

I hate to come in here and be a brand snob (cos no one likes that) but seriously, if you're going to get a tablet, get a Wacom. Having used my friends' and my own crappy non-Wacom tablets I can say that even if there might be an equal or superior brand out there, at least with this one you KNOW you're getting quality. Even my bottom-of-the-line Bamboo has held up like new for over a year and a half. And the texture on the Wacom work surfaces is as close to perfect as any tablet I've ever used--the others are always too grainy or too smooth, whereas Wacom feels like paper under the stylus. If you do more than pixel art, you might find it advisable to spring for an Intuous (the sensitivity is amazing), but if you're mostly pixel-oriented or just plain broke, Bamboo is the way to go.

Long story short: I'm a Wacom fangirl. And I highly recommend the Bamboo if you're like me and too poor to get a big giant Intuous. It's got all the features you need for pixel art anyway :)

@Frost: I dither with a mouse too, when I dither. I use the tablet for sketching and for doing certain texture details, mostly, I guess. Doing fur and hair without my Wacom would seriously slow me down.

Frost (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 12/9/2009 13:43

I have a old wacom tablet and doing dithering with it is a real pain. I don't get why one should use a tablet for pixelart. For normal computer-painting it's fine, though.

kendi64 (Level 5 Detective) @ 12/9/2009 13:30

I haven't gotten a tablet just because I thought it wouldn't make things easier. But is it less stressful on the hand/wrist/fingers to use a stylus instead of a mouse? Does the tablet make it easier or faster to do pixel art?

Zeratanus (Level 4 Deputy) @ 12/9/2009 13:22

Which of Wacom's features are useless for pixel art? Pressure Levels? Cuz that's about all I can think of... plus you get Photoshop Elements and Painter Essentials (or at least I did with both my graphire tablets)... I really can't see any reason to pick it over a Wacom. Though it does seem to be USB powered at least. Maybe if you really love function keys... but I personally find them too much of a bother to use. Much easier to just have my other hand on the keyboard hitting shortcuts like I usually do.

Ah well, I got my last Wacom for the Bluetooth anyway :D (my previous one I ripped the USB cord up by moving it around so often...)

Anoniguy (Level 4 Deputy) @ 12/9/2009 13:07

A wacom bamboo only costs a little more than this tablet, and the current bamboo line has as much power as the Intuos line did just a few years ago. Worth every penny.

Antifarea (Level 4 Ensign) @ 12/9/2009 12:55

Sounds tentative, but I do all my pixel work with the mouse like a piece of cake. :)

...what I actually need is another mouse, to have it there just in case this one breaks.

This Week's Pixel Art

PA Lizardman 1 icon/pixelartIce devil icon/pixelartRPG Puzzler c64ized... icon/pixelartMe icon/pixelart