Contribute to Jetpack 2

icon

Remember Jetpack, the classic DOS platformer (www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/)? A sequel's being made in Flash after all these years, and instead of hiring an artist, Adam Pedersen's letting the players themselves contribute pixel art, tracker music, SFX and levels for the game in the form of a contest. The two top entrants will receive $50 and the next four $25. In addition, everyone whose work ends up being used gets a free copy of Jetpack 2 once it's finished, as well as a mention in the credits.

The deadline is March 13th. Now's a neat chance to get creative and repay the good memories!

Posted by vida @ 2/8/2010 06:32  |    15

Discussion

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 2/14/2010 01:12

As someone who also used to play a lot of Jetpack (I made a shitload of levels back in the day), I can say that that is just awesome. I'd seriously love to play Jetpack with your graphics; would be cool to see a mock up with those tiles.

My only comments are that the 1up guy looks a bit awkward anatomically and seems quite squashed into the box. And the coloured barriers still seem a bit too 'gradienty', maybe something to break up the bands a bit.

I think I might actually try to contribute some levels.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 2/14/2010 00:29

Yeah, I only did the top half (BG Tiles), the rest are just leftovers with an incorrect palette. I agree with you about the mixing styles thing, but judging by his budget, I don't think he has much of a choice when it comes to that. I was planning on doing the whole thing, but I think I've spent enough time on it already.

The spritesheet was actually scaled up graphics from the original game, you can grab it from the info page.

Mathias (Level 5 Rokkyu) @ 2/13/2010 23:39

Wow Setzer, you did all that? That must be a scaled down sprite sheet for security purposes right? What's all that pixelly stuff in the bottom half?

***EDIT  -  oh I see now, he released a template. he better be careful not to mix and match too many different styles together from different artists. I'm very curious to see how it all turns out.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 2/13/2010 02:11

i've played entirely too much of this game to not contribute. The pay doesn't really concern me, although its pretty terrible. Its just that I had an insane amount of fun with jetpack when I was younger, I couldn't pass this up

what I came up with

varuks (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/12/2010 02:56

the game is adictive but neads more elements in it!

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 2/11/2010 23:53

Not exactly sure what size has to do with anything when he clearly states in the rules he wants 'flash-like' graphics, unless there are more detailed rules somewhere. But meh, whatever... this doesn't sound too interesting to me.

Mathias (Level 5 Rokkyu) @ 2/11/2010 14:26

I say leave this one to the newbies to squabble over. . .

wait, I'm a newbie . . .

Flarfy (Level 5 Detective) @ 2/11/2010 09:14

Yeah, I facepalmed at that too

Also why not make a true sequel instead of a remake.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 2/11/2010 05:58

' I’ll use whatever is best, although the stone is probably unbeatable'  <-- that comment he posted bugs me.

Hapiel_old (Level 1 Intern) @ 2/11/2010 03:06

30x30 is his size. What do you want? Nothing too high res is possible this way!

He just does not care how you make it. As long as you make it 30x30. Pixel art, or resized photographs, its all possible..

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 2/10/2010 20:18

Nothing he describes implies he wants pixel art at all. "with new ones that are closer to the style of modern flash games"

His post even shows pictures of pixel graphics being changed into "high resolution".

Hapiel_old (Level 1 Intern) @ 2/10/2010 04:09

He needs 30x30 icons. I assume that if you use vectors you can not have a size limit like this, and 30x30 is quite doable in pixel art. Those high resolution balls and walls are just examples.

Good luck ;)

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 2/10/2010 03:11

Yeah, the ball and rock tile examples don't look very promising.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 2/9/2010 16:17

Pixel Art? I assumed by what I read is that he's looking to convert his old pixel art graphics into modern flash graphics, and by the examples, I assume he's looking for vectors. But you know what they say about assuming..

Also, this seems like a good way to do a lot of work and be paid minimally for it. I suppose it's mainly meant for fans who want to contribute back to a game they used to have fun with.

M. Lucanius (Level 5 Soldier) @ 2/9/2010 15:14

broken link.

www.jetpackhq.com/blog/2010/02/09/the-jetpack-retrofit-contest/ is the correct link.

This Week's Pixel Art

Hungry zombie icon/pixelartYear of the Dragon icon/pixelartMy friend but squares icon/pixelart~ icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app