Frogatto & Friends

icon

Frogatto & Friends is a recently released, well-polished platformer created using charming pixel graphics. This game is sure to become a personal favorite due to the addicting gameplay, customizable levels, and beautiful artwork. Best of all, it's free! Check it out here. The game can be downloaded for Windows, Mac and Linux. An iPhone/iPod Touch version is also available for $5.

Posted by Po1nd3xter @ 8/2/2010 16:41  |    11

Discussion

Jetrel (Level 1 Intern) @ 8/9/2010 01:48

@RoboBOT:  Yeah.  We went for an unusual underpinning to the tiling engine.  Something that (to my limited knowledge) might have never been done before: pure autotiling without the ability to place tiles manually, and mixed tile sizes.  Some tiles are 16x16, some 32x32, some even 64x64, and there are other "tetris" pieces that the engine automatically fits into the appropriate spots.  Overall I'm pretty happy that the experiment panned out as well as it did.  I was afraid earlier on that it was just going to be *completely* infeasible, and I'd have to start over from scratch.

The downside of this was that the interiors of some tilesets had an order of magnitude more combinatorial complexity than most similar games (e.g. each tile had to tile nicely with almost 20 other tiles, and tile nicely along every possible fractional part of a tile (a 16x16 could be placed at any point alongside a 64x64).  As opposed to most games that have maybe 2-4 variants of an internal tile, and never have variable tile sizes.

I tried really hard to make all the edges match, but with this many tiles, it's exponentially more work than some 2-4 variants.  After a week, I decided enough was enough.

Since all I'm basically doing is weighting how well adjacent places form edges with other potential neighboring tiles, it'd be conceivable to for me to write a program to do the grunt work for me ... but that's a challenge for another day.  I'll wait on that till after I finish an Eagle/2xSAI-ish upscaling algorithm.  ;)

Jetrel (Level 1 Intern) @ 8/9/2010 01:37

@HMC:  Yeah, we consider it a work in progress.  It sucked that we had to ship with that water-edge business, but it doesn't harm the gameplay, and we plan to fix it later.  The thing is, we're not the kind of dopes who fall into "development hell" like the Duke Nukem guys did.  Shipping with a couple issues is vastly better than never shipping.  Perfectionism kills.

I've seen too many videogame projects destroyed because the devs had some bugf**k notion that they had to ship it with absolutely everything spot-on perfect.  At which point it gets delayed by several years, life changes, it gets abandoned, etc, etc tragic failure when they basically had the thing playable and mostly finished, and they end up snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  Not on my watch.

Jetrel (Level 1 Intern) @ 8/9/2010 01:33

@iSTVAN: It's written in OpenGL, so if you've got bad support for that, you're hosed.  It should run well on any computer made in the last decade, as long as you've got decent GL drivers.  (After all, it runs at full 50fps on the original iPhone, and that's a puny 412mhz thing with only 40mb of free ram).

HMC (Level 7 General Manager) @ 8/6/2010 09:35

The underwater tile edges seem like a really glaring oversight and some of the jumping mechanics are a little flaky. Seems like a great game otherwise, though.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 8/3/2010 21:55

Wow, when I first saw these screenshots, I thought "Man this looks great, so it probably plays and sounds terrible like most indie games." But I saw it was also released for linux and thought I should at least test it out.

while compiling I went through some of the source and found some really neat commandline options some of you might be interested in: --widescreen --fullscreen --no-send-stats

Anyway, I started playing it, the controls are solid, music is awesome, plot is very light (which is a good thing), and its just the best platformer I've played in a very long time. I highly recommend everyone checking this game out.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 8/3/2010 21:52

Just had a quick play. As expected the graphics are lovely. It's just a pity that the game runs really slow on my computer---or perhaps the engine is built that way? Either way, I found it too slow to play.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/3/2010 19:35

fun, fun, fun! Great pixel work.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 8/3/2010 18:36

Looks cool. Downloading as I type.

Drazelic (Level 8 Partner) @ 8/3/2010 12:12

Jetrel, one of the artists of the game, has an account here. Though he hasn't used it much and only really signed up because I credited him for a pallete that I borrowed, I think we should give him a round of applause for the fantastic graphics of Frogatto.

The other artist is Neorice; in fact, most of the developers of Frogatto were also developers of Battle for Wesnoth, a game I recall being featured a year ago or so. It's pretty cool as well.

RoboBOT (Level 7 Captain) @ 8/3/2010 10:15

Wow, this is fun!  The graphics are nice, despite a few inconsistencies in tile edges.

This Week's Pixel Art

Troll Witch icon/pixelartJump animation icon/pixelartMoR2019 - Baymax icon/pixelartfitoria the filolial queen icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app