Pixel Art Challenge: Samurai Era

icon

Samurai were Japanese warriors from the 13th to the 19th Century. This week they will be celebrated in Pixels. Pick one of these types of samurai and use the corresponding palette. No swapping palettes.

• Mounted samurai - High ranked warriors who fought on horseback.
  • Shogun - Japanese military rulers.
  • Rōnin - Samurai without a master.

Challenge idea by Canty

Canvas Size - Exactly 120 x 120.
Colors - Exactly 6. Use only colors from the three palettes below:

Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

Posted by skamocore @ 8/9/2010   |    17

Discussion

stevefrank (Level 1 Rookie) @ 9/24/2012 05:27

Yes you are right samurai were japanese warriors, I am history lover. that's why i want to share a beautiful link about samurai's swords. just check it. I think it would be very interesting to all of you..!!

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 8/13/2010 14:05

These kind of challenges usually have, just check out the amount of entries for the 7even knights challenge.

Buddy90 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 8/13/2010 14:00

Is it just me, or does this challenge have a ton of entries? Especially compared to the number of entries for last week.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 8/11/2010 13:07

That Shogun palette looks like a real challenge.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 8/11/2010 10:34

@Mis-BUG: At least I'm not loosing my mind.

Mis-BUG (Level 9 Boss) @ 8/11/2010 06:01

the ronin palette gave me headhache... :S

@dpixel: I had the same problem with GG. I solved it by saving the palette file form the image taken from the challenge weekly post and then loaded on my piece... I really don't know why GG made me this kind of problem...

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 8/10/2010 11:02

What was also weird was if I copy the palette image and paste it into GG, the colors are slightly different than saving the palette image and opening the image in GG.

I wouldn't call this sorted out.  I still don't know why it was doing that.  At least I'm aware of this issue and will use the checker next time a set palette is called for.

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 8/10/2010 08:20

How weird D:

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 8/10/2010 05:48

I'm in need of graphicsgale help.  My colors seem to be changing.  It's the 3 darkest colors.  I download the palette and copy the rgb value and paste them to my image one at a time.  Then I go back to check them and they've changed.  ex: 58-36-46 changes to 56-35-45

Thanks

EDIT:

Seems to be fixed.  I downloaded the palette. and even the palette value on the darkest color was changing from 60-37-47 to 59-37-47.   I still don't understand, but fixed according to the checker.

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 8/9/2010 20:24

There are three different options for each palette at the challenge checker this week--be sure to select the one you need from the dropdown!

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/9/2010 15:46

These palettes were carefully chosen to honor the color blind warriors

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 8/9/2010 14:33

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest the challenge was ruined in any way - just that the Samurai, moreso even than medieval knights, are so much about thier colors and heraldry and brilliant printing and threadwork, so it's funny that the challenge would make it (nearly) impossible to show most of that off :P.

Didn't stop me from entering ^.^

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/9/2010 13:01

well obvioiusly shogun didn't wear colgate green and magenta.

i don't think most members were planning on doing a 100% true to life, color-accurate samurai anyway. i don't think the palettes will be a major hindrance in capturing the feel of any of the three samurai. granted, it won't be historically accurate, but I'm not sure that was the point behind the challenge anyway, it's just stock subject matter.

i'm not saying your points aren't legitimate, i just don't see that it makes a huge impact on the challenge for most members. will try to keep color in mind next time a challenge with a strong basis in history runs.

SpaceSalmon (Level 1 Rookie) @ 8/9/2010 10:10

I already started and used the pallete and I can't change that now. But good point, PJ should think a bit more before throwing out their restrictions.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 8/9/2010 08:50

This seems like a very, very strangely organized challenge.  There's no place in this where you can represent a typical samurai?  Also - palettes are neglectful of samurai armor, outfit, and pageantry.  If we're going to celebrate them, why not at least give us colors that they wore?  All should have at minimum colors to use for red, olive, blue, gold, and white if you want celebrate the actual samurai.

Restrictions are interesting when they enhance the subject I think.  There's a key difference between these being a challenge or a hinderance.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 8/9/2010 07:01

Really?  Is that pure white for the Mounted Samurai?

SpaceSalmon (Level 1 Rookie) @ 8/9/2010 04:16

This will be fun. I'll give it a shot. I think.

This Week's Pixel Art

My Grandfather icon/pixelartMinecraft Ocean icon/pixelartMage Gal icon/pixelartGeno - Super Mario RPG icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app