Pixel Art Challenge: Mixed-Up Mother Nature

icon

Create an image representing one of the 'classical elements' listed below. However, you must only use the palette that corresponds to your chosen element. No palette swapping.

Earth

Air

Water

Fire

Canvas Size - Max 100 x 100.
Colours - Min 4; Max 5 (You must use all four colours from your palette. If you are using 5 colours, then the fifth colour must be transparency).
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - No.

Posted by skamocore @ 12/13/2010 01:16  |    38

Discussion

Lijj (Level 1 Rookie) @ 12/21/2010 18:22

I can't post in the forum. I made one just to try a 4-color palette; pretty neat challenge.

I really like to see all the things people can do with such small palettes :D

But I don't know what happened... when I signed up the page just loaded forever. I never got an email.

Romson (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 12/20/2010 08:45

Oh, can I make a slight changes in one of my pieces? Now, when the voting is started?

Groogokk (Level 5 Lieutenant) @ 12/19/2010 23:13

An incredible 65 submissions, plus more in the queue. Can I motion for the number of votes to be doubled? :P

NonPlusUltra (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 12/17/2010 15:54

GODDAMNIT i thought it would be a nice start to participate but compared to all those pros i suck hairy balls :D

Romson (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 12/17/2010 04:29

It seems we'll get goddamn hard voting on this week. So much good art!

zi-double (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 12/15/2010 12:52

aaa this going to be one of the biggest challenges ... I feel - itch my hands for pixels

NonPlusUltra (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 12/15/2010 05:26

Dude that's exactly what happened to me ! it's listed in the top 10 mac freeware programs everywhere and then it fucks with your colours on every layer?! and the crashes lol man dont mention it since i lost an hours work i saved like every 5 minutes (which was very necessary!). Iol seriously screw Pixen, I'm gonna do this the GIMP way now.

Cilein (Level 5 Detective) @ 12/15/2010 02:28

Don't use pixen, if it worked fine it'd be great. If you try and use multiple layers each new layer takes on a variation of previous colors used, especially if you duplicate or paste anything to a layer. Every time I save a new copy of a piece the colors wash out losing saturation too. When animating it tends to crash a lot too, at no faults of the volume of RAM I have for it..

NonPlusUltra (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 12/14/2010 20:31

It's a mac freeware program called pixen and i hate it this day forth.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/14/2010 20:29

What program do you use? All of your colours are a bit iffy :o

NonPlusUltra (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 12/14/2010 20:25

Damnit you're right! I wonder how that colour went in :-/ any idea how to fix that? because im definitely sure i only used the earth palette.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/14/2010 20:13

*26 hours ago :P

you've actually got 6 colours, always check Hatch's challenge checker before submitting. Your entry's in the challenge, just not in the gallery yet.

NonPlusUltra (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 12/14/2010 20:10

As you can see a user even commented on it yesterday, so probably i uploaded it a bit earlier. I edited it 2 hours ago though, i didn't know whether or not i have to explicitly say that it was made & submitted for the contest. The fifth colour is transparancy, which is okay according to the challenge rules.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/14/2010 18:52

You only submitted it like 2 hours ago, and it has an extra colour :L

NonPlusUltra (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 12/14/2010 18:28

i don't get it, why isn't my submission in the contest yet ?

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 12/14/2010 13:49

The ''pick-a-pallete'' challenges are usually the most popular  one's, just look at the samurai and 7even knights challenges.

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 12/14/2010 12:30

I do hope so, I would be very happy if yes.

Groogokk (Level 5 Lieutenant) @ 12/14/2010 12:24

Geez, one day into the challenge and we've got five entries already. Are we heading for a record number of submissions?

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 12/14/2010 06:17

I love the idea, but I have no idea for an entry. XD

Romson, where have you seen "one, not two, not three"? The rule is: "Your piece(s) need(s) to contain only one of the four elements", and not "You need to submit only one piece".

Romson (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 12/13/2010 22:57

I thought one means one, not two, not three, not even four. But if I can submit more then one... I like it!

Brod (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 12/13/2010 18:33

Wow I really like this idea, I may try it out

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/13/2010 17:40

NonPlusUltra (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 12/13/2010 17:17

Can I post more than 1 entry ?

Losm (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 12/13/2010 16:13

Interesting challenge idea.

SpaceSalmon (Level 1 Rookie) @ 12/13/2010 14:37

yay manupix.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/13/2010 12:54

Oh yay, I must find time for this.

* salivates *

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 12/13/2010 08:50

I've had an idea for a very similar challenge for a while, it involved robots though.

eliotfellow (Level 7 Assassin) @ 12/13/2010 08:10

Wow, I am really digging this challenge idea. The palettes are nice!

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/13/2010 05:16

I don't personally see why not; as you'd need to have some form of representation of water to show that it is an undine or whatever. It does need to be a depiction of something which sorta evokes the feeling of that element, not just something which lives in that element.

tl;dr: showing the element is the important thing ^^

Groogokk (Level 5 Lieutenant) @ 12/13/2010 04:52

This should be fun! I really like the colours, and I'm quite excited to find out if contributors will mainly concentrate on two or three elements. The colour switching should not pose too much of a problem, at least for some elements. Distant landscapes tend to have a blueish tint anyway, a sunset at the ocean gives the water a red glow, and many substances burn with blue flames.

One question, though: I am aware of the fact that it is elements, not elementals (from fantasy games), that the submissions must represent. But elementals embody elements, so would it be okay to submit, say, a picture of a (yellow-red) water elemental?

kevink (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 12/13/2010 04:18

probably intentional, but me no likey.

Paulo Peres (Level 6 SWAT) @ 12/13/2010 04:01

Hehe... nice idea switch the palettes colours!

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/13/2010 03:48

Yupyupyup. Hence the "Mixed-up" :)

Kaiseto (Level 6 Made) @ 12/13/2010 03:17

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious to me that the palettes were intentionally switched, and I like the idea. Reminds me of the summer/winter cold vs. hot palette contest from way back. Really diggin' that Earth palette,  I gotta say...

Zweckform (Level 1 Intern) @ 12/13/2010 03:03

Me thinks this is part of the challenge as air/ earth and fire/water changed their typical color schemes.

Zedeem (Level 1 Depressed) @ 12/13/2010 03:02

Jo is right. Fix it. A blue pallette for fire element? Wierd.

JoCh (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 12/13/2010 02:59

I think there is some inversions on the palettes, or i'm colorbind !

This Week's Pixel Art

Belmonts! icon/pixelartIndalecio icon/pixelartMeeting Phi icon/pixelartOctobit 2019 Day 6: Lost at Sea icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app