Pixel Art Challenge: Final Forestry

icon

This year is the International Year of Forests. So, to kick things off this year, you are challenged to pixel a scene set sometime in the future, depicting the last remaining forest on Earth.

It may be a forest preserved in an ancient history exhibit 5000 years from now; or maybe it's a forest that exists in such a remote location, that it has so far remained untouched by humans.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys can come up with better ideas; but your image should clearly show that it is Earth's final forest. If it is in any way unclear, you should explain your idea in your description.

Canvas size - Max 150 x 100. Either horizontal or vertical.
Colours - Exactly 11.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - No.

Posted by skamocore @ 1/3/2011 00:06  |    16

Discussion

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/9/2011 21:44

lazy!

tbh [coming from someone who actually attempted the challenge ;) ] the color restriction was the most limiting aspect. had to cut down on colors and optimize my palette on every entry.

slym (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 1/9/2011 13:48

I was aiming more at it's not as difficult to do a small canvas versus a large. Depth as in creative depth, ideas and concept. But I'm still going to participate.

-edit or not... not enough time

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 1/9/2011 07:32

It's not even that small, come on.  Look at Cure's submissions.  He's done two (last I checked) very good pieces and he's not even pixelling the hell out of every bit of the space because he doesn't need to.  It's plenty big enough.

LennArt (Level 1 Private) @ 1/9/2011 02:45

Aw Damn, i'm not gonna make the deadline.

Mine wasn't so stunning either :P

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/8/2011 22:26

I haven't had any problems developing any of my concepts. What sort of depth is restricted exactly? I can't imagine anything that can't be adjusted or simplified a tad to fit. It's certainly an aspect you have to work with and not against, but I still don't think this is anywhere near small enough to restrict any substantial amount of creativity.

/canvas crusader

slym (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 1/8/2011 18:04

I was pretty hyped up about this one... until I saw the restrictions. It's not that a smaller canvas size is more difficult, it's that it restricts the possibility for more in depth entries. If anything it's easier than having a minimum canvas size being large, forcing artists to fully develop the concept of their art. Honestly, it's whether or not we want to see challenge entries focussed on pixeling, or focussed on more than just pixeling.

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 1/7/2011 15:19

Wut?

TortBR (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 1/6/2011 10:25

How long is shipping?

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 1/4/2011 02:11

I don't really pixel anymore.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/3/2011 20:29

I guess canvas size is personal preference to an extent. Of course there's a certain amount of information that needs to be conveyed, in which case 50x50 is sufficient, or smaller if you're a minimalist. But with 35x35 you might be able to convey the concept but don't have the breathing space to get as creative as you like or inject your own style.

But with precisely-placed pixels I still hold that 150x100 allows for plenty of creatvity in regards both to interpretation of the concept and style.

I'll participate, just to show you small-canvas-phobes it's a reasonable size! (and because it's a really neat idea)

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 1/3/2011 16:31

carni i'm expecting an A+ entry from you :P

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 1/3/2011 14:22

That's plenty of space.  We're pixellers and making use of 'small' spaces is something we are meant to be good at.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 1/3/2011 12:13

a fine answer : because it's damned small.

I don't know of any screen or game system with a resolution that tight that still conveys as much information as the prompt wants.

BUT

"can't" is just a fancy way of saying "haven't yet."  I can see people stepping up to this, although the size is what's keeping me out personally.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/3/2011 10:28

a better question:

why wouldn't you be able to fit it into a 150x100 canvas?

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 1/3/2011 06:15

Good challenge, but I have no idea of how we can do this in a 150x100 canvas.

This Week's Pixel Art

puffycharms last straw icon/pixelartPeasant icon/pixelartflower icon/pixelartsnow samurai icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app