For poor folk, cheapskates and anyone stuck with Paint.

mtPaint is a FREE multi-platform graphics editor which features layers and outputs gif and png8 formats. Site Description:
"mtPaint is a painting program which Mark Tyler developed from scratch so he could easily create pixel art and manipulate digital photos."

It uses the GTK toolkit (version 1 or 2) and runs on PC's via the GNU/Linux or Windows OS.

Runs on older PC hardware (e.g. a 200MHz CPU and 16MB of free RAM). mtPaint is FREE software, which means you are able to freely use, modify and distribute it according to the GNU General Public License.

Extensive language support, including Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish among them.

Get it HERE

Originally found by KalasMannen and submitted as a link.

**A good time to show this old LINK for Paint users. HERE

Posted by jalonso @ 2/6/2011 11:44  |    13

Kiwi (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 2/12/2011 10:37

I've tried it on a eeepc before, but I didn't like ti. The palette editor is too complex and it doesen't give you much more than paint. If I have to use a free software I'd use GIMP, but I'm fine with Paint.

elliel007 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/11/2011 04:23

nice! i have that program

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/10/2011 18:51

@Vegard, jk :P

AIGuy (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 2/10/2011 18:24

Am I the only one who saw this and immediately pronounced it "Mount Paint?"

Also, I just tried it, and found that my lines would not be continuous if I drew them too fast.  And, unfortunately, "too fast" is really kind of slow.  That's a huge turnoff.  I'm sticking with regular paint.  I don't need any mountains, anyway.

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 2/10/2011 16:09

You're forgetting people who have ethical objections to financially supporting non-free (as in freedom) software.

EDIT: Not to mention people who don't use Windows.

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 2/10/2011 13:37

Because if you're not poor you should go get Graphics gale/Promotion...Because their the best toosl for pixelart.

Vegard (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/10/2011 13:28

Why poor, why cheapskates? Why not: For anyone!

metaldev (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/10/2011 13:03

try this link if the provided one doesn't work

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 2/10/2011 12:51

I prefer GrafX2 for pixeling on linux, but mtPaint is a fine program.

Gugaknie (Level 5 Soldier) @ 2/10/2011 12:49

Here the Website Have a error.

avo (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 2/10/2011 11:52

Nice program, use it a lot in linux and still like it

MyO (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/10/2011 06:09

By the way, guys, be ready to download the documentation that comes with the program, too.
Without it, your way to understanding mtPaint will be long.

However, this is something between Paint and GIMP: a small program with brushes, gradients (pixel ones as well), patterns, well-designed zooming, layers, etc.

By the way, mtPaint was already mentioned on PixelJoint forum (at least by Lollige).

Here is a small topic describing this program (actually, it describes pixelling in Linux, but it has a GOOD screenshot of mtPaint inside):

Also, just for some useless info, mtPaint comes pre-installed in Puppy Linux (a tiny and well-built Live CD distribution).

Juniorps (Level 5 Soldier) @ 2/9/2011 18:59

This Week's Pixel Art

Bard icon/pixelartquick lil sketch icon/pixelartMetal Storm HD icon/pixelartNew House icon/pixelart