Pixel Art Challenge: Let's Fight!

icon

Create a sprite of yourself as a fighting game character.

Canvas Size - Max 100 x 100.
Colours - Max 20.
Transparency - Required.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 3/5/2012   |    38

Discussion

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/19/2012 14:59

The challenge was pretty damn clear.  I can't believe what a complete piece of crap it became.  And no it's not a 'bit dramatic'.  It's just one in a long line of examples of bullshit that has made me realise this is not a place I feel a part of and I don't wish to associate myself with it any further.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 3/11/2012 19:27

The trick is to remember that exploiting loopholes doesn't make you as clever as you think it does. People looking for loopholes in everything is just a headache for the mods; where on the continuum of acceptability should a cyborg be? A guy with a bear mask? An anime?

So I'll be voting for ones which look like someone you could see on the street

RodrigoCard (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 3/11/2012 18:54

I agree with you, Franuka.

Franuka (Level 3 Hatchet Man) @ 3/11/2012 17:37

...That's a bit dramatic, don't you think?

Come on, what's the problem with most of us misunderstanding the real intention of this challenge?

Maybe it wasn't as clear as it should have, maybe we are just dumb or adapted the description to our owns interests. Who cares!

Isn't the point of this all to have fun while comparing different styles and skills?
Yes, it'd have been great if we all had the same idea, so then we could have done things under that "your very self as a sprite" instruction. It obviously didn't go that well and many interpretations of it came out.

So? That doesn't mean you "don't belong here" or that you should stop posting things! You're an artist and people appreciate your art, and that won't change because of a one time challenge.

Maybe in a future someone will think about a similar idea too, and probably someone will warn him that people's interpretations of his idea can vary so he should be as specific as possible about it, if he really wants to put that idea into a challenge.

But come on, it's nobody's fault this didn't came out as intended, and many great pieces of art were submitted either way, so let's cheer and enjoy what is there, because that's the point of being here..

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/11/2012 16:49

The promise of proper looking fighter sprites is what appealed to me about this challenge and is why I did mine the way I did it but obviously I seemed to be one of the very few who did so I'm extremely disappointed with it all and that along with some other reasons confirm to me I have no real place here at all which is how I've felt for a very long time hence why I haven't uploaded much for the the last few years.

Super17 (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 3/11/2012 14:03

I think it fits perfectly.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 3/11/2012 13:28

FWIW i had no trouble understanding the rules, and was a little bummed out when people went in a different direction.  I thought the fairly explicit IRL nature provided a great opportunity for humor.  Whether that makes a better sprite isn't for me to say, but I was definitely expecting a more fun lineup.

Submitted anyway, even though mine no longer fits the challenge as most others have interpreted it.

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 3/11/2012 02:51

Your piece displayed what I intended to come out. You have my vote thus far for sure. It's unfortunite that I didn't elaborate enough, otherwise we would've saw more awesome old-school fighting sprites.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/11/2012 02:01

Whatever.  I've lost all enthusiasm for this challenge.

measme (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/10/2012 19:03

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 3/10/2012 15:27

As I said, having spells, capes and other fancy outfits is fine, so long as the character shows some resemblence to yourself. I think that leaves plenty of room for creativity, while also allowing for yourself to be presented as a figther sprite. We are trying not to be anal, but what's the point of a weekly challenge without a challenge? I should've elaborated a bit more for the description, but it should be common sense...

Franuka (Level 3 Hatchet Man) @ 3/10/2012 10:27

When someone says "Fighting game" you imagine all kind of super attacks, crazy beasts and whatnot. I think that if REALITY was a must in this challenge, the description should have been more specific. Many people "represented" themselves as fighting characters, so as long as it resembles themselves in a way, outfits and magic shouldn't take them off the challenge. (and I'm not saying this because of my entry, ok..? -.-)

failureboy (Level 7 Assassin) @ 3/10/2012 07:42

I think - for the most part - the entries so far are alright and fit into the category just fine.

Rest assured that CURE and the other admins are there to prevent unfair entries.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/10/2012 07:40

Speak for yourself.  Been in plenty of fights in my lifetime but I've never been in a world where people have tiger heads and magic and stuff.

Super17 (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 3/10/2012 07:38

But I thought the interessting point in this challenge would be that you actually have normal looking people - yourself - in a fighting stance. Has nothing to do with different worlds in my opinion.

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 3/10/2012 07:32

"Fighting game" is a word just like "Fantasy", it describes a world, how would you look in that world? We don't live in a fighting game, just like we don't live in a fantasy world.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/10/2012 05:45

What would be the point of having the word 'yourself' in the challenge topic if it meant just create some made up character that doesn't resemble yourself much if at all?   A few years ago there was a challenge to create a fantasy portrait of yourself  but the key word there fantasy obviously meant you could go a bit nuts and turn yourself into all sorts of things.  No such word here.  Doesn't even matter if you don't think you look like a typical fighting game character. I thought that was part of the fun of it.  It would have looked great to see 'regular' people sprited to look like they've just turned up at a Street Fighter tournament.   Was the reason I took part.

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 3/10/2012 05:21

Well, the rules weren't  very specific about how much it has to be you. "As a fighting game character" is already a modification of the character (for me atleast as I am no fighting game character in the first place ;) )

Sergiotron (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 3/9/2012 17:34

awesome pixels so far! I want to make a third figther :P

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/9/2012 11:41

Really feel like the majority of people's perceptions of reality must be screwy if they think they've pixelled 'themselves' for this challenge...  Just saying...

st0ven (Level 2 Dealer) @ 3/8/2012 18:17

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 3/8/2012 17:53

Fixed.

st0ven (Level 2 Dealer) @ 3/8/2012 17:16

my entry isnt included in the contest even though it was meant to be - do i need to delete it altogether and re-upload this? doesnt seem to be an option to submit to weekly contest when editing.

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 3/8/2012 09:32

I wear a Fedora. Nice to meet yah. ^_^

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 3/8/2012 06:48

People that wear hats, I'd assume...

orange08 (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 3/7/2012 16:23

Who are the hat people? :P

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 3/7/2012 01:20

Surely you need to upload a pic of yourself as well so hat people can compare!

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 3/6/2012 23:25

Your general appearance (reality), Carnivac got it correct.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/6/2012 16:10

Well I took 'yourself' to mean actually how you look so that's what I've done.  I'm surprised I've done anything at all though.

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 3/6/2012 14:07

@baah - Don't worry about that. I'm not going to use a sparring.

randomboy2007 (Level 2 Peon) @ 3/6/2012 13:21

I've got to a point, which i get to in every peice I do,where I know something is wrong, but I don't know what it is :S

Super17 (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 3/6/2012 10:11

That would be my question: What counts as "myself"? My avatar aswell?

Danori (Level 1 Gangster) @ 3/5/2012 20:35

Crap. I spent all day today working on a fighting sprite then I read this and it has to be of yourself. Well maybe ill implement my floating skull avatar into to make it "myself"? ;D

baah (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 3/5/2012 14:59

@nevercreature: i stole your idea, see forum...

marquandDance (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/5/2012 11:30

@nevercreature - I hope so, I wanna kill a zombie with with my foot!

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 3/5/2012 04:40

One question!! Can we use a "sparring figure"?

failureboy (Level 7 Assassin) @ 3/5/2012 01:19

I am so excited for this one.

|||| (Level 8 Marshal) @ 3/5/2012 00:06

Fight sprites! \o/

This Week's Pixel Art

Flagship Underattack icon/pixelartAtomic Uzi icon/pixelartRoboCop icon/pixelartMoR2019 - Baymax icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app