Pixel Art Challenge: Stock Characters - Part 2

icon

Hello, welcome to the second stock character challenge (here's the first).

For this challenge, you need to create a stylised portrait of a stock character - the more stylised the better. It should be obvious which stock character you've picked.

Pick one of the stock characters from the list below:

• Ninja
  • Wizard
  • Evil robot
  • Vampire

You must create your own original interpretation of the stock character. So; for example, if you were to pick the wizard, you couldn't just pixel Harry Potter.

Canvas Size - Exactly 90 x 90.
Colours - Exactly 12.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

Posted by jeremy @ 7/23/2012 00:01  |    32

Discussion

Alanay (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/29/2012 04:03

Next weeks challenge should be to make your own cursor! :D

Ellian (Level 8 Partner) @ 7/27/2012 07:46

... well, I certainly wasn't expecting this when I raised my question... Sorry, and thanks.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 7/27/2012 03:23

Less words, more pixels!

Graindolium (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 7/26/2012 23:18

shut up !

Antiboton (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 7/26/2012 20:54
You are all not stylised ò_ó

Just try submitting your art, because it surely will be accepted if it meet the other rules (the really important ones). No matter what that word means because the judge are the users and they will be as confused as we are :B Have fun spriting!

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/26/2012 19:34

We don't need to start bashing or flaming each other. Look at my previous statements and see if I did that to anyone. Bottom line, I just get upset when certain members feel they are entitled enough to make someone feel bad for asking a question. I never had an issue with "stylised", it just escalated into this sort of PJ version of Jerry Springer. ---  Lets all just be professional artists, with a like minded interest in pixel art, and a respect for peoples opinions, questions, and various levels of skill without arguing over spilt milk.--

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/26/2012 17:11

Like was clarified very early on in this very topic, it should be like a caraciture or one of the four choices. Like, look here. The entries are mostly cartoonish or with some kind of style which makes them stand out, instead of a realistic portrayal. It's obviously the mods' job to decide whether or not something is 'stylised' enough, even though the writeup reads more to me like a strong suggestion to make entries more unexpected  (less boring/unoriginal). Like, it was literally put in the writeup to hopefully influence more interesting entries. All of the current entries are plenty stylised imo.

My "condescending" comment was in reply to your assertion that skamocore, and the mod who wrote the original, decided to chuck in a random word and then reinforce it just because. You have no idea how much effort goes into crafting hopefully loophole-proof challenges each week which (hopefully) inspire plenty of entries, and people who decide to or encourage others to ignore part of the rules just create more of a headache.

Damian (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 7/26/2012 16:41

As a user here I find Jeremy's reply as a staff member/moderator very disappointing. In a situation like this, his reply should have been to the point, targeted to the majority and as neutral as possible.  Asking a rhetorical question aimed at one person, followed by a dig at said person, “Get real”, is always going to get a raise.

Adarias, now look at Jeremy’s reply from Flyguy’s point of view as “pretentious, condescending”.  I don’t think Flyguys reply is based entirely on MrBeast, but the from flame brought on by a neutral party.

I’m going to agree with both your (Adarias) and flyguy’s last paragraphs. Adarias, your last paragraph pretty much backs Flyguy, whereas Mr beast still continues to fight for a definition of what seems pretty obvious.  Just stick to guidelines, enter a WIP and wait for a definitive answer from a staff member/moderator  to promptly advise.

And to MrBeast, why would it be problem to accept both?

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 7/26/2012 14:05

Question is wheter "stylized" should be applied to the character or to the art style. A stereotypical ninja is a stylized character but might be drawn in a non-stylized way. You can also draw a non-stylized (e.g. realistic) Ninja in a stylized way.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/26/2012 12:15

FlyGuy - chill out and grow up.  There's no reason for someone old enough to buy himself a drink to behave the way you are.  I can understand your disagreement with MrBeast, but taking that out on Jeremy is a waste of breath, not to mention unwarranted.  You appear to be the one picking a fight, here.

Skamocore, who writes the majority of the challenges, actually does craft his posts carefully and selects his words rather particularly.  You can be assured that his choice of the word 'stylized' is very much intentional.  Jeremy, as a staff member, is familiar with this, knows Skamocore better than your or I do, and has authority over challenge rules.

As far as defining terms, "stylized," in the common use of the word, means "not seeking to embody naturalism or realism."  It's true that you can't draw a hard line between what is realistic and what is stylized, as everything is a mix of the two - but you can very easily say which pieces are more or less stylized than others.  Nobody is going to say that this is somehow less stylized than this, even if neither is particularly close to what you might call hyper-realism.  Don't confuse relative terms with wholly subjective terms.

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/26/2012 07:05

Okay Jeremy. ...lets solve this issue once and for all. --- What the heck does "stylised" mean for the participants here. The dictionary  term states "Depict in a mannered and nonrealistic style" -- So when are vampires, evil robots, wizards ever realistic in the first place? I guess this really only works for ninja's. Our medium also happens to be pixel art, pretty far from any kind of art that fools anyone into believing it is real in the first place.

I'm sick of the pretentious, condescending attitude I get from people like you...I'll get real man, as soon as you can explain to me why it was so necessary to emphasize that particular word. You guys really seem to be looking for something to fight about.

All I've been saying from the beginning, is to just create a pixel piece within the guidelines. I guarantee you cannot tell me which of the submissions are "stylised" as this is an opinion to the viewer. Hence why we vote. This does not prevent a persons entry from making it to voting day. Since no one has clearly stated what stylised means. People have just argued about the particular word. I say do exactly what failureboy is doing....ignore it and create your piece.

failureboy (Level 7 Assassin) @ 7/26/2012 03:19

"Stylised" can mean a lot of different things (I mean isn't "pixel art" in itself a style?) and in my opinion, is sort of a confusing word to use.  I'm just ignoring it, personally.

I plan on submitting a couple entries, am trying my best in the time I have (pretty sure I won't place), and am trying to use interesting colors in my attempt to clearly depict the characters I choose.  I hope people like them, or at least appreciate what I'm trying to do.

But I have no idea if they'll be "stylised" enough.  And I'm also fairly certain that the people who do win will have won because of their technical skill (the piece just looks real f*cking cool) not because they "stylised" it.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/26/2012 02:25

You really think skamocore wrote "stylised", bolded it and then emphasised it again in the next sentence simply because it was in his vocabulary? Get real. And the challenge write up is obviously just as important as the technical restrictions.

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/25/2012 14:00

@ MrBeast - Your last post said " most artist don't want to express anything with their art."-- I just want you to know that anything you, me, or any other person has drawn, was created to express something. For instance, my current avatar was drawn to express my patriotic appreciation for what men/women have done for this country. Then there is your avatar of what appears to be a grim reaper/wraith type creature in front of a moon... I'm assuming this was created by you to express a slightly creepy or eerie mood. Both have different reasons for being in existance today, because of 2 different artists, and what they were trying to "express" through their work. So to say anyone who doesn't write a book, or show up to a political rally can't express feelings or emotions through their own means, is simply foolish. --- You must have never heard of artists like Banksy.

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/25/2012 13:48

I don't want to cause more controversy where it isn't needed, but I think a lot of people here are reading into the challenge guidelines a little too much. --- The rules of a challenge are physically written out by the previous weeks winner, so we have to leave room for different individuals word choices. I myself have one a weekly competition once. When I was asked to create the next weeks challenge, I sent it in to a moderator. It was then copy pasted onto the front page of PJ. -- I'm not saying this happens every time.  My point is that we don't need to over think this stuff. There is no hidden meaning for stylized. I think that its just a word someone had in their vocabulary, and felt it enhanced what they were trying to convey to the participating audience.

If you ask me, any form of art is "stylized". What painting, drawing, T-shirt logo do you know of that wasn't created in the artists own style? So when I read that on a challenge guideline, it doesn't change how I'm going to draw something.

Damian (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 7/25/2012 01:11

I agree with flyguy here. Creating something truly unique is probably the biggest challenge. And based on the rules I would say we are free to do so.
- You must create your own original [B]interpretation[/B] of the stock character.

Btw, calling something bullshit to spite someone is not cool.

MikauKahn (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 7/25/2012 00:07

In my opinion, I think that Stylized means to draw it in as much a unique way as your mind can conceive. Draw it the way you, and only you, can draw it.

Antiboton (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 7/24/2012 22:52

I also ignore what "stylized" means for this challenge but I agree with MrBeats more than FlyGuy. The idea is to draw something very related with the chosen character and not only placing pixels as an expression of art. For example, I think is not correct submitting an impresionist portrait of a Magician without some BG that fits with the character. But well, is just a subjective opinion.

failureboy (Level 7 Assassin) @ 7/24/2012 19:47

Yeah, you're really winning us over, MrBeast.  Keep talking.

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/24/2012 13:46

You've got a lot to learn friend.

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 7/24/2012 13:10

The challenges got nothing to do with artistic expression... it's about being challenged, and in this case by exploring a already existing, stereotypical character. Ignoring that is just like ignoring the other restrictions. Those rules are there for a reason.

(Not to mention that the idea of artistic expression in itself is bullshit, as artist are displaying things, not expressing them. There might be a few exceptions but most artist don't want to express anything with their art. If you want to express things become book author, political activist, philosopher or something.)

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/24/2012 11:07

own interpretations are never wrong. its really frustrating to see comments like this on a forum dedicated to artistic expression. the only true limitation here is that the art must be pixel art to be submitted on this website.

now if anyone violates pallete rules or size dimensions then their piece wont be accepted for the voting process. if someone decides their vampire is going to be a non-cliche version of a vampire, that doesn't disqualify them from entry. It is then left up to the masses to vote on a winner.

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 7/24/2012 03:19

The point of this challenge is actually exactly that... discovering/expressing the characteristics of those clichés. Own interpretations are wrong here.

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/23/2012 22:49

hope not many ppl go into "cliché"

shampoop (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 7/23/2012 09:39

Wow 45 entries last time around.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/23/2012 03:03

Yeah, like a caricature of a Ninja or Wizard or whatever. Take a look at the entries to the previous installment.

I might enter this if I have time. Loved the first one all those years ago.

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 7/23/2012 02:30

I think in this case with stylized "stereotypical" is ment. E.g. not a historical acurate ninja for example but one which is identificable as ninja in instant.

Ellian (Level 8 Partner) @ 7/23/2012 00:36

Okay, excuse both my english and/or lack of artistic terminology... but can I get an explanation of what stylized means, in this context ?
Because looking on the internet wasn't helpful at all.

Sorry in advance if this sounds stupid. D:

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 7/23/2012 00:25

Ninja o_o!

This Week's Pixel Art

Flagship Underattack icon/pixelartBorzoi icon/pixelartLaser Pistol icon/pixelartShmuptivity Logo Alt Ships icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app