Challenge Awards: Do Not Want

icon
The Do Not Want pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge! Check out the Do Not Want forum thread for more information.

Posted by jeremy @ 4/22/2013   |    15

Discussion

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 4/23/2013 11:53

Voters option to rank pieces 1-3 to weight their votes.
POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 4/23/2013 06:50

All entries are good and worthy winners.

Reo being robbed is always to be expected.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 4/23/2013 00:26

And that's actually one reason I don't like the turn based strategy game look, because they look far too artificial and 'game like'.  The whole grid thing and player objects just standing there til it's their turn kills any immersion for me to get into a game.  For me a game has to feel like it has to have some sort of 'living' environment feel in a way which for me your piece did (perhaps because of it's 'scenic' quality).  Anyways I think I'm going somewhat off topic... I'm done.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 4/23/2013 00:22

Oh right. Somehow I was under the impression it wouldn't accept it unless I picked three but the point still stands that it should allow you to pick an order of preference.

failureboy (Level 7 Assassin) @ 4/22/2013 18:03

@ Carnivac, wasn't Reo's piece submitted earlier than Nevercreature's?  Wouldn't that explain the rank disparity?

Also, you don't have to vote for 3.  There have been weeks where I only voted one or two because I didn't want any other ones to win.

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 4/22/2013 14:24

My point exactly! Incredibly fleshed out, where as my mockup where more of a ''scene'' really.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 4/22/2013 13:36

Hey, sorry if it sounded like I was against your piece.  I'm not.  It's very well made.  I just find the difference between the challenge voting and the weekly ratings to be very strange.   Congrats on the first place placing though.

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 4/22/2013 12:45

Hi (master) Carnivac. I have not involved in the ratings, I swear! Although it is true that I have spent time animating the piece to look more playable and enjoyable. Maybe people have valued it positively, that's all.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 4/22/2013 12:19

Dunno about that.  Reo's looks like a game to me.  Certainly one I wouldn't mind playing whereas I heavily dislike turnbased strategy games like that depicted by Nevercreature's.  However what surprised me is that Reo's was consisntly higher than Nevercreature's piece in the Weekly rankings yet came second to it in the challenge.  I find that really odd.   I find the voting somewhat flawed too in that I can't specify my order of my three votes.  Particularly annoying when you get to a week with so little to choose from and have to still choose three and you may find two you really like and have to make do with a third but gets voted like you consider it as good as the other two (by the way  my absolute favorite of this week's lot didn't get in the top three)

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/22/2013 11:26

Reo's entry seems like more of a wonderfully crafted scene than a legitimate game. On the other hand, I would genuinely want to play Nevercreature's mock-up it if it existed as a real game.

shampoop (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 4/22/2013 10:52

The best 3 won imo,  Order doesn't matter

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 4/22/2013 10:39

!!!

What!?? I thought the first place would be for Reo! (It's a trap!! Hahahaha!)
Congratulations anyway, Reo I hope you get a trophy in april!.

And thank you PJ!!

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 4/22/2013 08:05

Hah! In all seriousness Nevercreature executed way better, really sold it as a genuine mockup!

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 4/22/2013 05:27

O.O

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 4/22/2013 01:02

Bit surprising.

This Week's Pixel Art

WWII Ger Air 1 icon/pixelartLenell Windelmere icon/pixelartEe, what you say? icon/pixelartPitchfork zombie icon/pixelart