Sprite Lamp - Dynamic Lighting Tool

icon

Snake Hill Games is an australian game development group that recently announced their project Sprite Lamp, a software tool that allows dynamic lighting on 2D graphics. You can find information on how it works in their site.

Kickstarter campain is planned to be launched on Nov 13th.

Posted by AtskaHeart @ 11/10/2013 10:45  |    13

Discussion

AtskaHeart (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 11/20/2013 22:48

It's definitely faster (though less accurate) than doing everything from scratch.

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 11/20/2013 21:07

So it generates a normalmap from a 2D image. While not usefulfora gallery piece, as an ingame effect it would be amazing.

manxana (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 11/20/2013 12:18

Even though it's great and helpful I would rather implement something like this to my game on realtime. That would really look great with pixel-art. Like this:

www.youtube.com/watch

Phexion (Level 5 Detective) @ 11/20/2013 05:41

A very clever tool which I think will be very useful in the right project

_Connor (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 11/20/2013 02:03

oh my god, this is amazing. Want now!

Calv (Level 7 Assassin) @ 11/20/2013 01:55

Pretty amazing tool.

PanicBomber (Level 6 Manager) @ 11/20/2013 01:38

looks cool but i still prefer doing all by hand ^^

Marurun (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 11/19/2013 17:07

Had my coder friend show this to me and I think the concept is great. But for animated characters the workload would be a bit tedious by yourself, yet for the background effects it's really interesting.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/19/2013 10:22

Warning:

This is cool and interesting and even a great learning and ref tool. PJ will not accept pixels known to be created using this tool.

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 11/19/2013 09:45

I am not entirely convinced ( yet) I would like to see the option for some color maps to allow hueshifting and measurements for palette control. Also, I don't think such a workflow is efficiant for a large amount of animated assets. Still it likely allows for some nice things.

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/19/2013 09:08

Take my money!

torguen (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 11/19/2013 08:19

Algunos resultados no me convencen mucho pero estare atento a su desarrollo.

Some results do not convince me but I'll see how it develops.

skittle (Level 9 Nidan) @ 11/19/2013 07:52

Wow. So much to do with this.

This Week's Pixel Art

Pillars icon/pixelartWater Bottle icon/pixelartLizard-sippin' good icon/pixelartSavage Northern Watchtower icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app