GAME GRAPHICS VOL-1: PIXEL ART TECHNIQUES

icon

GAME GRAPHICS VOLUME -1: PIXEL ART TECHNIQUES
Ever wondered how to make pixel art? Wonder no more!

"Ever wondered how to make pixel art? Wonder no more! This book shows you the very basics of pixel art. Step-by step instructions to help guide you in making effective art with pixels. Easy-to-follow and lots of pictures to help you along the way. This book aims to teach the difference between art made with pixels and pixel art."

Hi i'm Mitchell, I created a small book (64 pages) on how to make pixel art. It covers basic and advanced techniques and has lots of tutorials. Go the the link and click preview in the top right to see what to expect. I have been creating pixel art for several years and compiled all of my knowledge into this book.

Check out the book here: payhip.com/b/JBK7

Brief look at the contents:

• Neo Geo Pocket tutorial
  • Sprite tutorials
  • Character portrait tutorial
  • An in depth look at graphical projection for video games
  • Setting up Photoshop for pixel art
  • Common mistakes associated with pixel art
  • Organising colours

Posted by Mitch30 @ 2/11/2015 19:42  |    36

Discussion

Dreamkilled (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/25/2018 02:47

404 Page Not Found

esitetsis (Level 1 Rookie) @ 1/8/2018 01:04

tehe great work!

This is the funniest, most accepted and easiest ways to spend your free time. All you have to do is choose the best free juegos kizi games for kids and adults online and start playing them

x3meblue (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/22/2015 17:41

Wow! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much

Wugabuga (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/22/2015 11:04

Nice thank you! :3

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) @ 2/20/2015 20:37

WOW!!!!!!!!! thx!

Onved (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/20/2015 10:34

Great initiative!

Daruda (Level 4 Button Man) @ 2/19/2015 12:23

Yep, I agree with you, but people are free of buying what they want and even if there is tons of info about art in the net, a lot of people just like to have physical copies of the books or collections of info well arranged.

I really appreciate your dedication to the project. I really love to read tutorials and I'm expecting great thing from yours.

Friend (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 2/19/2015 09:46

I wish for an actual physical pixel art tutorial book made by cure/helm (cure's tutorial is brisk yet thorough, helm's is in depth and technical), with other artists designing the layout and such.  It'd be perfect to have all of the information and various charts strewn about all in one nice place on my bookshelf.  Plus, art from the PJ community could be included :]!

Frario (Level 6 Made) @ 2/19/2015 06:35

When I conceived Pixel Logic, my main focus was "free" and "accessible" because that's what teaching is all about. Teaching is sharing knowledge, not selling knowledge. You can tip people, but you shouldn't pay for knowledge if we have a thing called:....the internet.

Thanks for mentionning me though :)

Scarodactyl (Level 8 Marshal) @ 2/18/2015 09:38

I didn't see this one earlier.  I am sympathetic, but what I'm really wondering is what kind of college project wouldn't require you to meticulously cite your sources.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/18/2015 06:43

Nice!

To sell or not to sell is a difficult topic. There clearly is effort put into this book, and there is a value in distilling information that is publically available. On the other hand it is understandable that other people who provided this information feel cheated....

EviLsEyE (Level 1 Intern) @ 2/17/2015 12:15

We're your friends. We're not like the others, man, really!

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/17/2015 09:46

You sound like a good guy, and the situation is understandable. I'm sure you put a lot of work into it, and it seemed like a fair price. Our community can be a bit defensive at times, but I hope you understand its because we're passionate, not insane.

kaleidos (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 2/16/2015 18:53

I just want to say

Thank you cure,Cyangmou and all of the pixeljoint artist for your free sharing.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/16/2015 12:08

You did the right thing.

I read the tutorial. It's organized fairly well and there are some things I like (your random dither examples for instance). But overall I don't know that I'd recommend it as-is. There are a lot of rules that shouldn't be rules, you have to be careful when writing a tutorial that the things you teach don't sound like dogma. Some of the example images could be a bit better as well, though the same can be said for my own tutorial. It's good to see someone put so much effort into organizing and understanding the artform though, make me want to improve the tutorial here at PJ.

rklesmit (Level 5 Captain) @ 2/16/2015 10:10

Well, at least he refunded the $5 back. So I took the $5 and donated it to PJ

Scarodactyl (Level 8 Marshal) @ 2/15/2015 17:56

@Cyangmou: for the record, plagiarism is unethical but not necessarily illegal.  Ideas cannot be copyrighted--only the expression of ideas.  Unless he actually took someone's words or images directly and used them, I doubt that there would be any legal recourse.

Mitch30 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/15/2015 16:33

I am terribly sorry for any trouble I have caused. I made this book for a college assignment and someone suggested I sell it. The book will remain on the payhip link for free.

ALL MONEY HAS BEEN REFUNDED FOR THE 12 COPIES I SOLD

Helm (Level 5 Detective) @ 2/15/2015 16:15

That's what I really want, I want volume 2, finally I'll learn to pixel in an advanced way.

Squ4re idi0t (Level 2 Peon) @ 2/15/2015 16:04

Well since rklesmit is naming all the content, would there still be need to buy it?

Is Volume 2 going to be a cook book?

Helm (Level 5 Detective) @ 2/15/2015 09:52

Well I guess this was inevitable, at some point. Still, it's not the spirit I would like to see ideas propagate and be discussed, but this happens time and time again, somebody distills (often ham-fistedly, I can't speak for this book because I didn't and will not buy it) years of free communal work by other people to make a buck. I don't think it's illegal, it's just capitalism.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/15/2015 08:32

I haven't looked through the book myself, other than the preview, which does have some pretty clear similarities to existing tutorials (as well as a "correct anti-aliasing" example that has too much anti-aliasing). But I can't imagine it provides any new or useful information that the pixel art community hasn't already put out there for free.

The rest of us poured time into free tutorials because we believe that anyone should be able to learn pixel art technique, that it enhances our community and that spreading the love of pixel-creation is its own reward. If this were a physical book I could understand it having some advantage (though I can't speak to the legality). But it's digital information, it costs nothing to produce and the information in it is already out there on the internet.

I would urge any beginners trying to learn pixel art to keep your cash. Use freeware like grafx2, and take advangtage of the free tutorials that Cyangmou linked to below. If you're still not sure how to apply what you've learned, start a thread at Pixeljoint or Pixelation and take part in the community. Cyangmou, myself, and others, got to where we are not by paying for knowledge, but by engaging with the community and the knowledge our pixel art communities have been accumulating for more than a decade.

Cyangmou (Level 8 Marshal) @ 2/15/2015 07:03

Mitch,

I downloaded your book, not for learning, but for checking out where you got your knowledge from.

You took the tutorials provided by autors like: Cure, Helm, Kiwinuptuo, Pix3m and myself as well as others who posted small tuts in the noobtorials section of Pixeljoint and posted at Pixelation.

We provided that knowledge to enhance the medium, some of us even together, but you presented all of that as your completely own work without giving credit to the sources.

You also haven't asked any of us if you may use that content, but you take money for it.

The art in the book (except the screenshots - where you added sources) is yours, but nonetheless it's plagiarism of already free content, just sorted and presented in a book.

You definitely ripped off the design of certain charts and layouts and as well as the content of various tutorialy and I can easily proove that just with side by side comparison for a big part of your book.

I will inform all others who provided tutorials which look strangely similar as in your book and will inform them that you try to make profit from our achievements.

That's illegal.

And what's even worse is that you advertise your product on the site and for the community you took from and aren't a part of  -at least you neither have a gallery here nor have you contributed anything to the comm so far.

For all others I personally would recommend to use the free tutorials already available, because what you get for your money in the book is very little new content compared with what is already there.

Mitch30 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/14/2015 16:40

I understand where you are coming from Cyangmou, but this is my information, my art and my approach. My book does have some advantages. It is specifically for Photoshop, it has unique tutorials and it's all presented and organised very well. As Daruda said "it's handy to have all in a book".

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany - I don't know what defines an 'actual expert' but my information and tutorials are very high quality and definitely helpful enough for beginners, which is who this book was created for.

Daruda (Level 4 Button Man) @ 2/14/2015 16:27

Well, why not pick it? It's not too expensive... And it's handy to have all in a book.
I'm waiting frario's tutorial, since It will look awesome.

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 2/14/2015 09:14

Free information online made by actual experts in the field is better than this information that costs money and is likely of much lower quality.

Cyangmou (Level 8 Marshal) @ 2/14/2015 03:23

Just wondering what advantages the book has compared to the free information already available in the web.

Cure's tut

Pix3m's tuts

Ramblethread at Pixelation

Some stuff from me

Mitch30 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/13/2015 16:59

Thanks everybody for purchasing my book, I am glad you like it :)

HZoltan (Level 6 Major) @ 2/13/2015 15:33

Thanks for the details!

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 2/13/2015 15:10

Thanks a lot for the overview! :)

rklesmit (Level 5 Captain) @ 2/13/2015 13:49

For me it shows $5 AUS which is $3.98 USD. It starts off explaining what pixel art is, and offers suggestions for software (pros cons for each). The author uses Photoshop, so if you use that as well it's definitely beneficial. He lists all kinds of important PS shortcuts in the index. He then goes through lines, angles, curves, projection, shadow/light, AA, outlining, dithering, texturing, clusters, coloring (hue, saturation, and brightness) and setting up a palette, and common mistakes (banding, bad lines, bad AA/dithering, bad shading/coloring. He ends with tutorials on pixeling a car, a character portrait, and a Neo geo pocket color card. I thought the section on graphical projection was particularly interesting as he explains types and uses game screenshots for examples. Idk, I'm new to pixeling, so I think it is totally worth the <$4 for me.

HZoltan (Level 6 Major) @ 2/13/2015 12:15

It's quite strange, because for me it shows $5 USD.

@rklesmit: is it more than "just another how to guide" wich tells you that you can color the outlines, watch out for the direction of the light and that you can start with the basic color then adding more for a richer feeling? It's not about the cost, but I don't feel like support people, who read the online tutorials and rearrange them.

rklesmit (Level 5 Captain) @ 2/13/2015 09:08

After glancing over it, seems like a decent buy for $3.98 USD

rklesmit (Level 5 Captain) @ 2/13/2015 09:02

Just bought the book. I'll try to comment back here on my findings.

HZoltan (Level 6 Major) @ 2/13/2015 06:40

If somebody bought it, please write a few sentences about it. I'd gladly buy it, but there are some suspicious things on the content list, and it's suspected valuable content seems to be a bit short.

BathMaster_2000 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 2/13/2015 05:00

A BOOK!? That's amazing. I thought this was just another pixel art web tutorial. Great job on this! I can see myself getting this book just to get it.

This Week's Pixel Art

Practice portrait icon/pixelartScanning scientist icon/pixelartCross of the Damned icon/pixelartGold coin icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app