Edge Magazine Special - The Art of The Pixel

icon

A short while ago Edge has released a 212 page special called "The Art of The Pixel" which features 24 contemporary pixel artists such as Junkboy, jalonso, huZba, cocefi, Gary Lucken, Johan Vinet, and ptoing. There is a page of info on each artist where they answered questions regarding pixelart as well as images from popular oldschool pixel games interspersed throughout the magazine.

You can either see if you can pick it up at a local store or order it online at:

Posted by ptoing @ 8/27/2016 09:14  |    6

Discussion

UltimoGames (Level 5 Detective) @ 11/4/2016 04:44

just ordered the EdgeMagazineSpecialTheArtOfThePixel! YES!

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 9/2/2016 14:51

I guess it is kinda a book and kinda a magazine. The paper is not quite a thick as it would be in a normal artbook, which makes it feel more like a magazine in a way. But either way, it's very nice.

king_bobston (Level 10 Capo) @ 9/2/2016 07:11

I'm not sure if it doesn't count as a magazine, since afaik the only criteria of a magazine is that it features multiple articles and the second somewhat criteria is that it is serial, including specials which this is as far as I know. For the first criteria I'm unsure if the interviews count as multiple articles or not.

It does has an ISBN EAN code which only books have though, just not sure if just because it's a book it would stop it from also being a magazine jeez, I should know this seeing as my job is editing photos for magazines (and book specials) but this is confusing me now. At least we don't stop calling it a magazine when speaking of a book special, except when we need to differate between a book version and a "normal" version..

Anyway, just came back to this news article to say I've got my copy and it's really nice, features a lot of artists  (with small interviews) most of us probably know and a few I didn't knew before.

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 8/28/2016 14:55

That is a good point. Indeed it is a book, not a stapled mag. And it is quite big format as well. All around nice stuff and very professional (as to be expected) presentation.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/28/2016 10:27

It's a soft cover book and not a magazine. It's really nice and is a great collectable to have.

king_bobston (Level 10 Capo) @ 8/27/2016 17:22

too late for the post, I already ordered it

This Week's Pixel Art

Captain Corgi icon/pixelartZayn icon/pixelartVillage revision icon/pixelartFury icon/pixelart