Pixel Art Challenge: Good Bye Old Friend

icon

After 32 years of duty Microsoft is planning to kill off MS Paint with this year's Autumn/Fall Creators Update. I think we can all relate to Paint in a way, whether good or bad.

There is a good chance that your first piece of pixel art was done with the help of MS Paint. For this week's challenge we want you to go back to one of your first pixels and recreate it with all your now acquired knowledge about rendering, colours and AA.

Make sure to put a link to the original artwork in the description.

Canvas Size -  Unrestricted.
Colors - Max. 32.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by Mandrill @ 7/24/2017 05:58  |    25

Discussion

DexRunner (Level 5 Detective) @ 7/30/2017 11:14

That's true!  I remember making a ton of computer art (I refuse to call it pixel art) when in school in the early 90s.  Because of my limited computer knowledge mixed with the fact that the best way to save files was floppy disks (I didn't think of e-mailing the files to myself) most pictures I made only lasted part of a school year.

It's sad to think about lost art.  It's sort of like a part of you is now only a fuzzy memory.  It's nice to go back and look at old art once in awhile, but to be honest though, if you asked me seriously, I'd tell you that I'm glad to have had the experiences that made me who I am today, even the losses.  I wouldn't go back if given the chance.  And I know that future me will feel the same about present me and I don't resent him for it.  I guess that's really what "goodbye old friend"means to me.  When you go back and rework old art, it's kind of a tribute to old you.  You're better now, sure.  But you're not a constant either and someday, if you're a true artist, you'll look back to remember where you came from.

Cheers everyone who looked hard and found a piece of themselves to share with the rest of us!

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/30/2017 09:26

I have drawings from the time I was 3 up to present day, but it's not as easy to hold on to digital art.

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/29/2017 22:07

That moment when you misread 32 for 23 colors and have 9 colours to spare yet the piece is done :S

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 7/29/2017 17:09

I've gos no time and see this too late, but great idea! I've lost my first pa, but still remember what is looked like.. Would have been fun to recreate!

Goodlyay (Level 5 Detective) @ 7/26/2017 02:49

Not all artists have allowed their pieces to be used as avatars. However, if they have, you should be able to find the buttons in either the gallery or the piece's page: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ia9mcoknwxqm24s/temp.png

Eggy (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/26/2017 00:56

People, I just found this.

Seems like MS Paint is here to stay after all, it's just going to become a free app in the Windows Store  So they're not going to kill it off; they're just moving it to a new home!

cyberdark (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 7/25/2017 15:27

I can't find use avatar links on avatars in gallery, someone please help me I'm new

IvoryFalcon (Level 5 Soldier) @ 7/25/2017 14:48

Fun challenge :P

I can't wait to see what people got in store. Definitely also looking forward to seeing everyones old work haha.

btw I just noticed my submission isnt showing up on the list of submissions for the current challenge, I could had sworn I checked the box... ?

DieMango (Level 6 Made) @ 7/25/2017 11:36

Oh gawd...i going to dig up corpses on piq.codeus.net...

wish me luck!!!

Axolotl (Level 3 Stalker) @ 7/25/2017 11:32

Can't find the floppies

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 7/25/2017 09:49

I think the earliest pixel drawing I have is from when I was 13 years old. I wish I had earlier, especially considering how embarrassingly poor my ability still was at 13.

Quake (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 7/25/2017 08:07

Looking forward to seeing what people do!

DexRunner (Level 5 Detective) @ 7/25/2017 07:57

It makes me sad hearing about how so many have lost early work.  I still have art from when I was in elementary school, but I know the feeling when you lose art, especially due to computer related issues.  I look forward to see what everyone can scrounge up.

Also, does anyone know if there's going to be a program to replace mspaint?  I know that Windows10 has a 3d painting program.  I wonder if it's got capabilities for pixel art.... here's the link I found about it.

kiokurashi (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/25/2017 04:28

Well... I kinda only have one or two things. And I haven't changed much at all since then. Guess I should skip this one lol. I honestly won't miss MS Paint so long as I still have something free that I can use.

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 7/25/2017 03:59

UNRESTRICTED CANVAS, 32 COLORS?

i lost all my work from 2002-2004 but maybe i can find something

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/24/2017 19:49

I have. No dice. My PJ account now contains my oldest work on the internet.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 7/24/2017 18:26

Have you tried the Wayback Machine?

Eggy (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/24/2017 12:40

I guess I could re-do that lizard in a snow environment then because that's my earliest pixel art piece that I can remember

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/24/2017 11:33

man I wish I still had all the terrible work from my first dA account

Mega_19 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 7/24/2017 10:48

nooooooo...

wasteboy (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 7/24/2017 10:14

It's a sad day for us all

BlondeAnt (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 7/24/2017 09:23

God, putting one of my first pixelarts in the web would hurt

DexRunner (Level 5 Detective) @ 7/24/2017 08:25

We shouldn't be having a contest about this, we should be signing a petition to keep it in the update.

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 7/24/2017 07:47

upper0 (Level 1 Private) @ 7/24/2017 07:31

It's will be interesting to see.

This Week's Pixel Art

spyro icon/pixelartSimple Volcano icon/pixelartvilarge icon/pixelarttwo dudes for collab icon/pixelart