Pixel Art Challenge: RPG Band

icon

Yes, it is an another RPG party challenge but with a twist (pun intended). This time we want you to choose an existing musical group and draw sprites of it's members.

It doesn't matter if it is a rock band, jazz group, hip-hop squad or a string quartet. You can make them into standard RPG classes (ex.: James Hetfield - Barbarian, Kirk Hammet - Wizard, Lars Urlich - Thief) or into different races (ex.: Paul McCartney - Wood Elf, John Lennon - High Elf, George Harrison - Dark Elf, Ringo Star - Dwarf), or completely made-up classes (ex.: Scary, Sporty, Baby, Ginger, Posh).

If you don't want to draw all of the members, because you want to portray only those important ones and skip the bass player, or you have chosen Slipknot, please consider a minimum number of three sprites. No single performers allowed.

Character, and their RPG roles descriptions, would be highly appreciated.

Clarification for tricksters: All the sprites have to be separate, and present together on at least one frame of the whole animation.

Canvas Size - Max 200 x 200.
Colours - Max 33. Including transparency.
Transparency - Required. Must be used to separate each sprite.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by gawrone @ 7/19/2021 02:41  |    8

Discussion

Jo (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/23/2021 06:27

I would never have done portraits + overworld if it wasn't for this limitation, so I'm glad for them haha. But maybe one thing to consider for the next rpg challenge is having maximum sizes per sprite? With something like a 4 man band I think this works great because you pretty much get 100x100 for each character, 5 I guess you could use the same resolution I used for the power trios, but yeah I gave up on tokyo ska paradise orchestra because of size issues hahah

gawrone (Level 10 Cherry Pie) @ 7/22/2021 23:24

I was working on my own entry yesterday and I realised that the canvas really could be bigger. I just copied the max stats from previous RPG party challenge, and haven't given it any thought. I have learned that I should at least run a quick test before.

But on the other side - good practice of working within limitations :)

Jo (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/19/2021 10:18

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying mate :D

gawrone (Level 10 Cherry Pie) @ 7/19/2021 10:01

It's not dumb at all. It's a loophole I could not predict :)

Because I don't want people to use optional animation to "cheat" and make an "animation" of 3 frames with one band member on each frame (just a hyperbole), I would say that all the sprites have to be separated and present on the image as a band. I understand that creative minds can find many crazy ideas for animateing things like dissapearing or jumping out of frame, and I really don't want to limit the creativity so I will add "at least in one frame". I'm adding this rule to make things clear, and thousand thanks for pointing that out :)

Jo (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/19/2021 09:25

Oh btw dumb question: if we decide to animate, do we have to show the entire party together? Or can I have each character animating one at a time... I ask because that would give some leeway with the canvas size :P

Jo (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/19/2021 08:49

If I join it will surely be Rush because I was a huge Rush head as a teen too, so no need to let me have the brazilian boys haha

gawrone (Level 10 Cherry Pie) @ 7/19/2021 08:40

I wanted to do Sepultura (original lineup) as one of my fav bands from my teens, but if you are participating I'll reconsider.

Jo (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/19/2021 08:31

I usually don't have time to indulge in weekly challenges, but with all the rpg parties I've done recently I feel like I HAVE to get on this one

This Week's Pixel Art

Skull icon/pixelartIt Loves - Pixelween 2021 icon/pixelartDelirium of the Bride icon/pixelartBirthday: Bride of the Clown icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app