Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 8/11/2014: Shark Week Post Reply Post New Topic
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 8/11/2014: Shark Week
    Posted: 11 August 2014 at 12:02am

CHALLENGE: Shark Week

According to Discovery Channel, it's Shark Week. So, this week, let's pixel some sharks. It can be in any form you want - a sprite, a scene, a mock-up, whatever floats your boat.

Canvas Size - Max 256 x 256.
Colors - Max 17.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Shark Week pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
Kaishido
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kaishido Replybullet Posted: 11 August 2014 at 6:07pm
Just getting some ideas popping. Small WIP.

Little update on sharks:

As for the fisherman and all the eventual additional details, I thought about going the monochrome way. Maybe it'll be easier to add more fine details.

More AA and color adjusting:

Edited by Kaishido - 14 August 2014 at 6:10pm
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2014 at 6:00am

It's... just a shark. A shark with unpolished shading and line jaggies that I'll finish last (it's not too difficult me thinks).
I may or may not finish this. Anyways, any suggestions/tips on polishing the shading to make it look nicer?
IP IP Logged
Kaishido
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kaishido Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2014 at 9:23am
Maybe less contrast? I dunno, it feels like he's made of metal. Adjusting shapes would help as well, I think.
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2014 at 9:49am

Is this better?
I'm not sure what to do with shapes though (as in, I dunno how would I adjust them). Any tips on that as well?
IP IP Logged
felchqueen
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote felchqueen Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2014 at 1:09pm
Slowly coming together, really having problems with the shading, I thought the more you do the easier it becomes....

Not sure if I should do a background, I think it'll look a bit odd without one as it really isn't a sprite. perhaps I'll try some illuminated water.

In all the references I've looked at the tail looks a bit odd, which I'm assuming is due to movement, should I keep it like this or go how out brains think it should be drawn?
IP IP Logged
Kaishido
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kaishido Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2014 at 5:57pm
Maybe redrawing the upper part of the tail in a more "curvy" shape?
IP IP Logged
jtfjtfjtf
Commander
Commander

Quote jtfjtfjtf Replybullet Posted: 12 August 2014 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Eggy

Is this better?
I'm not sure what to do with shapes though (as in, I dunno how would I adjust them). Any tips on that as well?

The tail fin should be vertical. Sharks have vertical tail fins while dolphins and whales have horizontal tail fins.
IP IP Logged
PixelSnader
Commander
Commander
Not a troll!

Quote PixelSnader Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2014 at 12:17am
Here's a brainfart of mine:

▄▄█     ▄▄█
▄█▄     ▄█▄

IP IP Logged
eruditespirit
Seaman
Seaman

Quote eruditespirit Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2014 at 12:50am
A few pudgy sharks I started on:

I haven't done any AA or shading, but I'm not quite sure where to start.
IP IP Logged
felchqueen
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote felchqueen Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2014 at 7:03am
@eruditespirit - Depends on what you want to do. Are you doing a game mock up, sprite or caricature? If you are doing a bigger scene you should probably lay that out first, then choose your base colours and do highlights and shadows then when the colour is sorted you can work on AA

I like the top one most of all and judging by the emphasis you've placed on that one you like it too. :)
IP IP Logged
Dont
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Dont Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2014 at 10:50am

steve can't deal with costumes

edit

Edited by Dont - 13 August 2014 at 11:46am
IP IP Logged
Khao
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Khao Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2014 at 10:25pm
I'm doing this thing:

The shading around the nose kinda bothers me, dunno what to do to fix it.

Gonna add color and a background later.
IP IP Logged
AirStyle
Commander
Commander

Quote AirStyle Replybullet Posted: 13 August 2014 at 10:33pm
@Khao: if this a great white shark, it may help to remember that his nose points quite a bit, and it would change the form of the side of his snout to be a little more pointed.

Take a look this side view of a great white:

< style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border: 1px solid grey; padding: 2px;"><>< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="auto" ed="ed">Detect language< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish<>< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en" ed="ed">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish
English (auto-detected) English

< style="height: 80px; width: 444px; border: 1px solid grey; padding: 2px;"><>< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="auto" ed="ed">Detect language< value="nl">Dutch< value="en">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish<>< value="af">Afrikaans< value="sq">Albanian< value="ar">Arabic< value="hy">Armenian< value="az">Azerbaijani< value="eu">Basque< value="be">Belarusian< value="bg">Bulgarian< value="ca">Catalan< value="zh-CN">Chinese (Simplified)< value="zh-TW">Chinese (Traditional)< value="hr">Croatian< value="cs">Czech< value="da">Danish< value="nl">Dutch< value="en" ed="ed">English< value="et">Estonian< value="tl">Filipino< value="fi">Finnish< value="fr">French< value="gl">Galician< value="ka">Georgian< value="de">German< value="el">Greek< value="ht">Haitian Creole< value="iw">Hebrew< value="hi">Hindi< value="hu">Hungarian< value="is">Icelandic< value="id">Indonesian< value="ga">Irish< value="it">Italian< value="ja">Japanese< value="ko">Korean< value="la">Latin< value="lv">Latvian< value="lt">Lithuanian< value="mk">Macedonian< value="ms">Malay< value="mt">Maltese< value="no">Norwegian< value="fa">Persian< value="pl">Polish< value="pt">Portuguese< value="ro">Romanian< value="ru">Russian< value="sr">Serbian< value="sk">Slovak< value="sl">Slovenian< value="es">Spanish< value="sw">Swahili< value="sv">Swedish< value="th">Thai< value="tr">Turkish< value="uk">Ukrainian< value="ur">Urdu< value="vi">Vietnamese< value="cy">Welsh< value="yi">Yiddish
English (auto-detected) English

Edited by AirStyle - 13 August 2014 at 10:33pm
IP IP Logged
andrae
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote andrae Replybullet Posted: 15 August 2014 at 3:29am
I don't know what I'm doing

Is this even acceptable?

Edited by andrae - 15 August 2014 at 3:30am
IP IP Logged
Kaishido
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kaishido Replybullet Posted: 15 August 2014 at 3:41am
@andrae: All the rules are respected in your piece, so it should be acceptable, I think.
IP IP Logged
pavanz
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote pavanz Replybullet Posted: 15 August 2014 at 7:57pm
I never did a proper mockup before, so

but at the end those guys didn't ended up looking very shark-ish ):
IP IP Logged
skeddles
Commander
Commander

Quote skeddles Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2014 at 8:06am
really a shame that almost every one did great white, not that i'm any different

Edited by skeddles - 17 August 2014 at 8:13am

IP IP Logged
sizzlinbetta
Seaman
Seaman

Quote sizzlinbetta Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2014 at 11:57pm
http://gitsumm.com/live/mobile/the-last-megalodon/

not sure if this ok to post here but it kinda does fit
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version