FF3 image filter switch!

icon
I have gotten great news!
After a lot of comments about the Firefox 3 image filter, that blurs all our images when we zoom 'm, has finally been solved!
On 9 Jan this patch was made by

Anyway, go to the following page to see more about the discussion:

As far as I understand, this patch needs to get reviewed by some guy named Joe, if he approves it it will get included in the next ff update.

From on that moment, you can switch the filter off by going to the config page:

Type about:config in your browsers address bar

Than search for the following string

gfx.images.smooth_scale

And most likely set it to False

I cant wait for the next ff update! Can you?

Posted by Hapiel @ 1/11/2009 03:57  |    43

Discussion

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/3/2009 07:46

yeah, not too much good stuff going on :/

neota (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/1/2009 04:54

Looks like FF3.5 will miss this out.

Looking at the bug report, there has been no activity for a while.

crab2selout.png (Level 4 Deputy) @ 1/16/2009 23:24
if you have FF3 you can install FF2 over top of it without problem. fingers still crossed

ProgZmax (Level 1 Depressed) @ 1/16/2009 20:17
This is wonderful news, especially since Firefox launched the 3 update on me without warning when I restarted it and I want to be able to see all the lovely art at Pixeljoint THE WAY IT SHOULD BE SEEN.

r1k (Level 1 Rookie) @ 1/16/2009 02:46
darn I just upgraded to ff3 by accident since the update pop up thing poped up the very second I was hitting the enter key in the browser, good thing it will be fixed soon though.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 1/14/2009 06:18
well, you guys be my guinea pigs. if it works, then i guess i'll give FF3 a try. although the 23 nanoseconds of extra speed are worth the upgrade.

somehow i feel its the diference between using Winamp 2.X and Winamp 6.X

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/14/2009 04:27

It has been reviewed! Yay!

Now we just need to wait for the update :D

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 1/14/2009 00:21
What you said is already the original news post?

Conexion (Level 1 Rookie) @ 1/13/2009 23:16
That isn't an existing property, nor if you add it will it do anything. Currently they have a proposed patch for this, but unless you compile the source code yourself with the proposed patch added, "gfx.images.smooth_scale" will not work. An admin seems to be looking at it, and it will most likely be included in the next update, although I sure wish it was an option now.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 1/13/2009 18:30
Yeah, most plugins work by now.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/13/2009 01:54
I really don't have that plugin problem :o
Maybe most were not compatible in the beginning, but if you don't use too unused plugins, they all get updated sooner or later!

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 1/12/2009 17:57
such an awesome new deserves another awesome news icon.

and its maybe the only reason why i havent updated to FF3, among half of the plugins not being functional on FF3.

neota (Level 8 Shodan) @ 1/12/2009 16:18
It is a bug (as reflected by the fact it has a bug report). Maybe someone thought it was a feature, but it doesn't actually provide any value; As someone said on the bug report

"Anyone using image up-scaling *on purpose* is going to find that bilinear filtering completely ruins the look they're going for"

It breaks the appearance of existing sites also, so it is definitely a bug.

This kind of filtering is only useful for downscaling; and in this case box filtering is a more correct kind of filtering than bilinear (which is designed only for upscaling; scaling and decimation routines are quite different. ), as well as being faster.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 1/12/2009 14:15
It's not a bug. It's a feature that we don't like.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/12/2009 14:02
We are still waiting, ill make sure to post a new news item when its real real :)

iLKke (Level 9 Nidan) @ 1/12/2009 13:38
Is this real now? Or are we still waiting for it?
I use IEtab extension so I can switch to IE rendering engine on certain sites. Not the best solution, tho.

neota (Level 8 Shodan) @ 1/12/2009 03:11
(edit function is broken)
Looking at the bug, it certainly seems that the filtering of horror should be active on all platforms, but it is not. Personally I use FF3.03 and have no such problem, and I've only ever heard of Windows users suffering from it.
I have difficulty telling whether this filtering is even intentional, or due to some misleading piece of Windows' API.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/12/2009 01:10
Gil, we might better do not. It is for discussion, not for random comments, and the people interested (like me) get an email for every comment posted. Thats why some people are bothered by the comments.
We better just register and vote for the bug, because that makes the priority higher :)

Zenobia (Level 1 Rookie) @ 1/12/2009 00:18
Yayayayayay finally.

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 1/11/2009 21:29
Note to everyone, don't go and grab the next update unless you're sure the patch is in it.
It's not because someone happens to make a patch, it's going to make it to the next update.

Also note that someone complained that a lot of people are being bothered by comments in that bug thread. In other words, if we all reply, they have to take it seriously, if only because it bothers them too much not to care.

So, let's all go and post under that bug tracker!

Blackbeltdude (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 1/11/2009 19:53
Thank god!

Once Firefox says there's a new update is out, I will be sure to drop whatever I'm doing and get it!

elend (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 1/11/2009 18:33
Oh yay, now that's great news. Finally I can update my browser. :D

neota (Level 8 Shodan) @ 1/11/2009 16:06
It's a windows-only bug.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/11/2009 15:47
How do you mean? I expect this filter to be active on linux and macs too, but its not? or what?

neota (Level 8 Shodan) @ 1/11/2009 15:36
Whenever I read about this bug it seems really silly. Probably because I use FF3 myself and have never and will never experience this, nor will anyone else on the majority of platforms FF3 runs on.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/11/2009 15:26
Ill see if I can do a background check on him. Maybe I find some relatives of him, and can figure out what he likes ;)

EDIT:
Sadly there are more Vladimir Vukicevic known on the internet, but after some searching I am 100% sure the following info is about the same guy who created a patch:

Vladimir lives in San Fransisco.
He studied at the Academy of Art University, (and?) University of California, Berkeley
Since this guy seems to know about art than, it already gets more interesting :)

Furthermore he is a programming freak. Everywhere where I search for his email adress I get into programming boards and communities. I can not find a nickname nor anything else as reliable as his adress or website.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 1/11/2009 15:12
def

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 1/11/2009 15:11
Yes, Lets give him a big gift from the pixelart-community!

CrisNMP (Level 1 Depressed) @ 1/11/2009 15:03
psycore: Use Opera...

That will never be an option.

crab2selout.png (Level 4 Deputy) @ 1/11/2009 13:21
If it works as it says then I will definitely update from FF2. Hurray for choices!

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/11/2009 12:30
Noet, as I said, the patch has just been made. It still has to get approved, than included in the next firefox update and THEN we can find that option :)

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 1/11/2009 12:20
I salute the man.

exocet (Level 6 Major) @ 1/11/2009 11:34
Glad to hear about that... I am getting nightmares about blurry pixels :)

mechast (Level 1 Private) @ 1/11/2009 10:42
it says that probably in the next version there will be a smooth_scale option in the about:config
can't wait

Noet (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 1/11/2009 10:29
sorry but i can't find gfx.images.smooth_scale ):

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/11/2009 10:05
May I suggest a huge collaborative pixel gift when the patch works for all of us?

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 1/11/2009 10:00
Oh yeah :D just what we needed :)

xXHalfieXx (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 1/11/2009 09:56
That's very useful

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 1/11/2009 09:54
FINALLY

psycore (Level 1 Rookie) @ 1/11/2009 09:53
Use Opera...

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 1/11/2009 09:10
omgomgomg canttttt waiiiitttttttt.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 1/11/2009 08:53
F*CK YEAH. PRAISE VLADIMIR.

Platnium (Level 1 Depressed) @ 1/11/2009 08:15
Every one can now sleep safely nowing that when we zoom in it won't blur!

This Week's Pixel Art

Toyota LiteAce 4x4 icon/pixelartDryad icon/pixelartForward icon/pixelartSaul of Tarsus icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app