Pixel Art Challenge: CGA Cyclops

icon

You are challenged this week  to create an image using any of the CGA palettes listed below.

The image must include some kind of cyclops. You do not have to make it a 'typical' cyclops, it can be any creature with just one eye. However, it must be clear that the creature does just have one eye.

NOTE: If you were intending to make an image of the X-Men character "Cyclops" your piece will NOT be accepted into the challenge as technically that character is not a cyclops.

Canvas Size - Maximum 320 (width) x 200 (height).
Colours - Exactly 4. Select one of the following CGA palettes:

Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by cure @ 3/9/2009 00:21  |    21

Discussion

Doppleganger (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 3/12/2009 09:47

hehe, actually no.

Sorry, I use idraw3 for all my spriting needs and it is unable to handle anything but 256 or less colored bmps or pngs. I can definitely just convert them with photoshop, and I in fact did, but it's just kind of a hassle to open up such a bulky program to do such a menial job.

The nature of this file really isn't important anymore, and my question was one more in jest than anything else.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/12/2009 01:13

@_@ better?

Doppleganger (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 3/11/2009 23:51

Do those palettes really need to be 24bit images? On another related note, I think I'll try this.

TMH (Level 2 Dealer) @ 3/10/2009 17:50

i did one but it sucks ass

MFlanaga (Level 4 Ensign) @ 3/10/2009 16:17

lets see... been making monsters 32x32 with 3 colors....

oh yeah... bring it on... (i imagine myself sounding like mclovin from superbad)

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 3/9/2009 13:36

3 is a tough palette, but I'd love to see what someone creates using it. The 2 rightmost palettes seem to have the best value range.

TMH (Level 2 Dealer) @ 3/9/2009 13:28

wow i cant do anything with these, im staying out of this one but i'd love to see what people come up with!

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/9/2009 13:22

Not the one-eyed monster we had in mind.

Shawn (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 3/9/2009 13:04

does a dick count as an eye?

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 3/9/2009 11:14

palette 1 is the worst... gray and green is too similar, either 2  or 3 =)

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 3/9/2009 08:28

jepp, cyclops + magenta screams for leela. cyan skin may make her look a bit frozen though ;D

i think i'll give palette #4 a try.

PixelKiwi (Level 5 Soldier) @ 3/9/2009 08:04

I forsee pixeljoint being hit by a tidal wave of Leelas. Might have a go at this one.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 3/9/2009 07:57

I just had the same idea in my mind a few weeks ago, but not with the CGA palette. But I do like that, and might enter :)!

vierbit (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 3/9/2009 06:09

This challenge is just right for me. Finally one with a bigger canvas size.

vampireslug (Level 5 Detective) @ 3/9/2009 03:41

Well, I was going to skip this challenge to have a break but after having me quoted like that, how can I?  This one will be much more of a challenge for me because I'm crap at dithering and with only four colors I'm going to have to get up to speed pretty quickly.  Well, we'll see what happens :)

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/9/2009 01:27

>( what a stupid question.

I would totally ban you for asking such a silly question but I am in a good mood, so instead I am just going to use your cyclops avatar this week. o)

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/9/2009 01:23

Can my cyclops have three eyes if the other two are on his feet?

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/9/2009 00:50

I agree. Here's a quote from Vampireslug from the forum:

I found that the best way to get into the swing here is to jump in on the weekly challenge... post your drafts in the     WIP, get comments, make changes, and post the final to see what happens! I sometimes have a loss for what to draw and the challenges give me a direction... fun stuff.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/9/2009 00:44

Challenge posts comments usually turn to rambling eventually anyway.

Restrictions are definitely best for beginners, I'd say.  There's less room to screw up, and more advanced techniques and tools really shouldn't be attempted until one has the basics down and knows how to properly use them.

Any more in-depth and a forum topic would probably be best.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 3/9/2009 00:24

Oh, such a cool contest, I'm entering this time! Gotta face my fears!

-EDIT- I also think it's a good place, as a beginner, to start with restrictions, such as these. Anyone else agree? Any thoughts. Perhaps I'd be better off posting this on the actual forums..

This Week's Pixel Art

bushes icon/pixelartbadan icon/pixelartOldStuff2 icon/pixelartPretty Busy - Rework icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app