Pixel Art Challenge: Omnivortrait

icon

Challenge winner Squirrelsquid wants you to create a self-portrait that incorperates the 'Omnivore eye' (see below). You may let your appearance mutate if you like.

You must create your own Omnivore eye. No edits.

Example of an Omnivore eye (several more examples can be found within Squirrelsquid's gallery):

Canvas Size - Max 128 x 128. Preview image must be exactly 64 x 64.
Colors - Max 32. You must only use colours from the Omnivore palette for the eye. See below.

glow_ramp-3.gif picture by tumble_weed
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

Update: black has now been added to the challenge palette.

Posted by cure @ 4/20/2009 00:37  |    35

Discussion

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/26/2009 23:41

I think there's going to be a dissension between people who are going to vote in their favorite / best looking piece overall, and those that are voting for pieces more suited to the challenge, or what it's original intent was.

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/26/2009 14:34

It is confusing indeed - But what should I do if the submissions are awesome, and the whole challenge allows for loopholes - It's over in a few hours anyway...

Stickman (Level 6 SWAT) @ 4/26/2009 14:20

I think this challenge is incredibly confusing. If portraits are going to be stretched that far, maybe it should of read as:

"Create any picture that incorporates the omnivore eye"

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 4/25/2009 18:36

Great question Flarfy.

Seeing as how the rules does not clearly state that the entry must be realistic and seeing as PJ members love to always find loopholes several entries have been portraits 'of sorts'...

...now y'alls keep on being your loophole finding/emo selves.

*All will have to trust the judgement of the Staff and Squirrelsquid this week.

Flarfy (Level 5 Detective) @ 4/25/2009 15:53

What is the definition of "selfportrait"? Beginning to have seen a few I personally would not think qualifies.

Stickman (Level 6 SWAT) @ 4/25/2009 14:50

I'm skipping this challenge but wondering if anybody is attempting to make a "many eyed" version of themselves?

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 4/25/2009 02:44

just wondering: who's gonna check the "You must only use colours from the Omnivore palette for the eye"-rule?

opening the image, cutting out the eye, reducing the palette to remaining colors. checking the rgb-values. that's a lot of work, especially if the whole thing is animated.

on a sidenote: the three reds are pretty redundant

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/23/2009 04:54

You are free to add as many Omnivore Eyes as you'd like.

TheManuz (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 4/23/2009 03:59

I'm not sure of the place where i should put the eye. Can i grow multiple ones???

Also, bump for goatse!!!!

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 4/23/2009 02:59

I really feel like drawing a goatse...

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/22/2009 10:43

onmivores, acording to the game, are a parasite wich mutates the host to an extent, but always poping that eye as a sing of their presence. quite much like final boses in Resident Evil games.

geminoid (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 4/21/2009 19:44

Im not arguing the artistic challenge to emulating somebody elses style. Its a great skil building excercise. I thought originally that i was required to emulate your style, eyes and all.

Im going to give this a shot I think. I havent done a self portrait in years, pixel or otherwise. Unless time gets in the way. So far Ive been sort of holding out for a challenge that i think i have a good shot at winning first with.

Ive got every ribbon but a first place. But i may just partake for the sake of keeping my pixel intrest. its been a few weeks since using paint

Again, I apologise for my initial reluctance

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/21/2009 18:45

Not realy - You do have to incorperate the eye in its characteristics, but it can be incorperated in any way you like - It doesn't need to be shaded the way I do, can grow outa your forehead, ear, nose, etc. it should just be in there. even eye-lids are perfectly fine.

also - being able to copy someone elses work can be a good skill on its own ;3

geminoid (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 4/21/2009 17:55

My apologies. I was mislead by "You must create your own Omnivore eye."

So just to clarify...

I have to make a self portrait

With a max of 32 colours

And I am only required to use one colour from the sample pallette?

If that is the case, i will perhaps join in the fun. The wording of the challenge had me a bit confused

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/21/2009 16:00

I am not sure what a palette has to do with style? I never said that you have to copy my style - you should just use the palette. Heck you can even just use 1 color of the palette? O_____o

geminoid (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 4/21/2009 14:26

self portraits arent so much lame, but being resricted to emulate somebody elses style of pixelling eyes is. Im just not feeling it. Good luck to all who enter though.

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/21/2009 14:03

you'r not lame! you ROCK :D

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/21/2009 13:36

because i am lame.

Kaiseto (Level 6 Made) @ 4/21/2009 13:12

I was going to do it... but I didn't realize it had to be a self portrait. I despise doing self portraits >_>

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/21/2009 11:16

Why is a selfportrait lame?

geminoid (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 4/20/2009 13:13

Man, i can hardly wait for a challenge that im not overtly MEEEEEH about. This one is kind of lame

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/20/2009 13:07

Challenge palette updated. You may now use black in your Omnivore eye.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/20/2009 12:21

I smell a fad.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 4/20/2009 10:27

I think squid improved the palette for the challenge. The eye shown is just an example.

Squirrelsquid (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/20/2009 10:27

you guys are right D:

damn - I did that larger eye some time ago, and did use some more colors ( the real glow-ramp got a few more shades, to allow better glow animations)

See it as a styleguide - besides, you are free to use black if you desire so ;3

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/20/2009 06:12

The example doesn't show black...I knew your monitor was screwy :P

But yes, the palette and the example don't have exactly the same colours...=/

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 4/20/2009 06:02

We need black, just as the example shows!

Damian (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 4/20/2009 04:27

So its the big circular eye things?

"Cough" I should of read the rules, I thought I was limited to those colours there for the portraite. Well I'll carry on anyway.

TheManuz (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 4/20/2009 04:20

Interesting challenge... i hope i get some spare time to use for pixeling!

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 4/20/2009 04:09

Okay thanks skamy <3

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/20/2009 03:53

@Flarfy: Omnivore refers to Squirrelsquid's style of eye he incorporates into many of his ship designs. Look through his gallery.

@smk: You can use whatever colours you want from the Omnivore palette and as many as you like in the eye, as long as you are only using the colours from the palette.

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 4/20/2009 03:43

Do we have to use the redder colors as the main/base color, or can we use the darker/violet shades as the base too :s

Damian (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 4/20/2009 02:56

Wahey! Join now!

Flarfy (Level 5 Detective) @ 4/20/2009 02:54

I'm not quite sure what we are supposed to do with the eye... Humans ARE omnivores, so we are just to make a normal selfportrait, but use the pallette for the eyes? Or what...?

r1k (Level 1 Rookie) @ 4/20/2009 01:34

hmm this sounds kind of cool I think Im gonna try this one if I dont have too much other work to do this week.  The eye pallete is cool I think I might try doing the whole thing with it.

This Week's Pixel Art

Girly Girl icon/pixelartAlex Kidd Remake icon/pixelartSo Much More icon/pixelartWWII Ger Air 1 icon/pixelart