Pixel Art Challenge: Create-a-Controller

icon

Sony recently announced their new 'Move' controller. So this week we want you to get creative and design your own game controller for a home console.

You may draw inspiration from existing controllers, but don't be lazy and just submit a replication of an existing controller with some alterations - ie. no NES controllers with added analogue sticks. Be creative.

Your controller doesn't even have to be for an existing gaming system; in fact, it can be for an entirely made up system.

This is a look at the history of game controllers if you need some inspiration.

Canvas Size - Max 150 x 150.
Colours - Max 20.
Transparency - Required.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 3/15/2010 00:01  |    14

Discussion

kevink (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 3/18/2010 11:43

I was going to make tits for buttons and a pen0r as analogue stick, but then I remembered, this is an all age website.

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 3/18/2010 08:39

WTF Playstation doesn't take itself seriously anymore... They have a bigger piece of the gaming market compared to nintendo (I think) and it still creates this piece of shit. At least Xbox is going to compete with a cool movement alternative (Project Natal). I still prefer the Wii, it was first and lets me play any kind of game: movement, gun, arcades and normal games.

P.S. creating new controllers (on paper or for real) is fun, but this pixeling challenge is LAME

Starscream (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/17/2010 01:58

I don't like the required transparency BS either. Cramps my style.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/15/2010 22:32

it is what you make of it

Starscream (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/15/2010 21:05

Eh... I'll enter. But there are a million better ideas.

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 3/15/2010 15:33

I'm really disgusted for Sony's aesthetic take on the Wii remote and they sure could've done something helluva lot better than what they got as a motion controller... Ugh! they look like frickin' lollipops for cryin' out loud.

Robinhood (Level 9 Boss) @ 3/15/2010 13:16

....?  Why don't you guys like this challenge?  It's not the best, but still pretty interesting.

Argyle (Level 6 Manager) @ 3/15/2010 12:40

Not much different than making a fake gun concept that you need an inventory graphic for.  Pretend it's something like that, except it's a game controller!  There are some wacky designs on all sorts of controllers in the real world.  The Novint Falcon comes immediately to mind.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/15/2010 12:09

I had a similar first reaction.

But.

Why not take it as a challenge within the challenge: how to make it interesting?

Probably won't have the time anyway. =P

Zedeem (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/15/2010 11:58

A big sign at DawnBringers post.

THIS CHALLENGE SUCKS SO BADLY!

(had to use caps for this)

B_j0k3r0 (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 3/15/2010 10:12

This sucks.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 3/15/2010 10:09

In my mind; the lowest form of 'art' on PJ is the boring renditions of cellphones & controls by rookies who sadly haven't found any better inspiration. I think most of us can live without this challenge. It had to be said, don't hate the messenger

Kinnison (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/15/2010 03:12

Interesting, I might try this one out too.

Starscream (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/15/2010 02:21

Why so small... ?

This Week's Pixel Art

This War Has Gone on Long Enough icon/pixelartFencer icon/pixelartCoke-chan icon/pixelartAG-19 icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app