Autodesk Animator - now OpenSource!

icon

This is more or less old news now, but as I've only found it recently, I thought to share this with you :)

Autodesk Animator was an oldskool 2d animation and painting program for MS-DOS, originally made in 1989. It was considered to be a groundbreaking application at the time, and it introduced me to the world of pixelart. I've spent countless hours in Animator back when I was a kid, and I'm sure that at least some of the PixelJoint community is familiar with it.

As it turns out, Jim Kent, one of the programmers who'd made this brilliant gem of a program, kept the copyright to the Animator source code, and has (more or less) recently given the permission to another coder, Breton Slivka, to make Animator available as opensource. There are even plans to port it and make it cross-platform!

It currently requires DOS to run, and I'm pleased to say that it runs flawlessly in DOSBox.

For more info and downloads, visit http://animatorpro.org/

Posted by Mrmo Tarius @ 3/25/2011 07:40  |    6

Discussion

Breton Slivka (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 8/4/2011 08:18

Oh yes, I originally learned about Autodesk Animator from that Tsugumo "So you want to be a pixel artist" article, became a member on pixelation for a while, and eventually migrated here. I found this article because I got a total of 3 (three!) new twitter followers on @animatorpro today- in one day! and I've been trying to figure out where they're coming from. Apparently it's here.

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 8/4/2011 05:43

Holy 50kg icecream on a 2-meter stick! It's Breton! O_O

I've had no idea you were actually on Pixeljoint :) :D

Breton Slivka (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 8/4/2011 05:26

To be honest though, I kind of don't know what I'm doing! If anyone here knows anything about MSDOS I wouldn't mind some help.

Breton Slivka (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 8/4/2011 05:17

Oh hai. I've been working on this since 2006. I also have a profile on this site, many of my peices were made in Autodesk Animator!

I have a full time job so I have barely a minute to work on this, but I'll get back to it eventually.

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 8/3/2011 17:32

Very cool. Good luck Breton, if you're still working on it.

This Week's Pixel Art

self portrait icon/pixelartLutea icon/pixelartL'Ankou icon/pixelartGraveyard icon/pixelart