Pixel Art Challenge: Last Light

icon

Pixel a scene lit by just a single candle.

Canvas Size - Unrestricted.
Colours - Max 32.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 9/5/2011 00:01  |    13

Discussion

neofotistou (Level 5 Captain) @ 9/8/2011 15:01

thanks cure! and lol at the candle monster

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 9/6/2011 18:22

a torch isn't a candle. neither is a stick of dynamite, a mario fireball, etc. I think most people have a pretty solid idea of what a candle is.

also this is a real candle monster

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 9/6/2011 18:16

the latter. the spirit of the challenge is utilizing a single, relatively weak (or at least small) light source.

in addition to space, there's one other place: the imagination ;)

but if the ambient lighting is dim enough and the candle very obviously the focal point, then it will probably go over OK.

neofotistou (Level 5 Captain) @ 9/6/2011 17:26

Is it within the spirit of the challenge to have a dim ambient light like a night sky?
Or is this a dark, closed room with just one candle kind of deal?

I mean, the only truly dark place I can think of, with no ambience and no reflections whatsoever, is space. And the way objects are shaded in space is: one side superbright, everything else superblack.

Chibiwing (Level 4 Deputy) @ 9/5/2011 19:12

That's a really cute Pokemon. ^_^

Adcrusher (Level 6 Major) @ 9/5/2011 16:26

Would a torch be allowed? Or should we keep it to a wax candle?

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 9/5/2011 16:15

I was thinking a candle monster would be like this pokemon

I think I'm going to do this challenge for real this time, I'm just not sure exactly what I'm make yet.

Chibiwing (Level 4 Deputy) @ 9/5/2011 15:54

Hmm, candle monster... You mean like this?  http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/64221.htm

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 9/5/2011 11:04

The spirit of the challenge is obvioiusly to for it to be a regular candle, thus a single and very tiny lightsource. But we anticipated someone would make a ten-foot-high gigantic candle.

Definitely a 'no' on the candle-monster though.

a3um (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 9/5/2011 05:47

The time has come for practicing my lighting skills!

Does this candle has to be a regular candle? Or it can be some kind of a giant candle structure or candle monster?

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 9/5/2011 05:41

aka 'practice your lighting skills' :P

A.B. Lazer (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 9/5/2011 02:49

...she said
Oh baby I feel so down
So it turned me off

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 9/5/2011 01:41

I can just imagine how much wonderful pieces that'll come from this challenge. Beautiful idea! :)

This Week's Pixel Art

Arm of the Yeaarth Father icon/pixelartCV Mockup icon/pixelartSimple portrait icon/pixelartLazy Forest icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app