20 Color Palette Comp WINNERS

icon

Announcing the winners of the 20 Color Palette Comp.
First Place - Dennis
Second Place - tanuki
Third Place - Super17
Honorable Mention* - a3um + [thUg]

-------------
Congratulations to everyone who contributed a palette.

Dennis II  +1000 Pts

tanuki +500 Pts
Super17 II +250 Pts
  a3um II+100 Pts

[thUg] HM+100 Pts

Winners were chosen by your Mod staff and several invited PJ Members by ballot, some palettes were tested, others not. The most total votes won.

* Because of a tie we couldn't break in the final ballot we have decided to award 2 Honorable Mentions.

Thanks to everyone for submitting great looking and quality palettes (37).

Special mention goes out to dpixel and Pandora'sSecret for demonstrating how much they have learned about color selection and, Frost Butt for such extra effort on his entry. Some palettes were for expert usage only, some seemed limitless, some simply beautiful. Should anyone use any of these palettes for any pixelart, please remember to give credit in your description.

This comp was to pick the palette for the newest PJ forum iso collab, which will be posted very soon.

Posted by jalonso @ 12/8/2011 09:32  |    24

Discussion

Super17 (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 12/9/2011 09:44

My last piece is using my winning palette actually, but I just picked 10 colors from it: www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/66897.htm

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 12/9/2011 09:44

Not a weekly competition, but a site-wide group project. Here's the underground themed last project that we finished last month, using dawnbringer's palette- link.

Each person was able to reserve a tile and make something for this. Additional free tiles could be reserved after completion of that tile, so some people did more than one. Looks like the project took slightly over a year from start to finish since it kind of dragged on for a while towards the end.

We don't know what the theme for the next project yet, but whatever it is we'll be using dennis's palette for it.

Some people posted examples of their palettes in use in the thread for it- link

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 12/9/2011 08:21

So, I presume that the palettes from this competition will have some relevance to the next weekly competition?

Also, is there a link to pixel submissions where we can see the top palettes used in action?

Photocopier (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/9/2011 04:00

I completely forgot this existed.

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 12/8/2011 19:32

well now I'm imagining a "one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater"

crozier (Level 6 Hitman) @ 12/8/2011 19:11

Congrats!

@MrBeast  Im gonna guess something purple ;p

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 12/8/2011 18:46

Well what was the theme after which was judged anyway?

Kaiseto (Level 6 Made) @ 12/8/2011 18:25

I'm really liking Tanuki's entry here.... I might have to test it out on a new piece I started a little while ago.

Pandora'sSecret (Level 4 Murderer) @ 12/8/2011 17:55

Next time I will win, I am sure of it!
Until then, congratulations to the winners (I was sure A3um was going to be #1, his palette was awesome!)! Though I am very curious to see how one can make the most of the winning palette.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 12/8/2011 17:44

My palette must have been for "expert use"    Seriously, I found it a bit difficult once I had some time to do some real pixeling with it.  More time would have been nice.

I love iso.  Will it be 3d, cubed tiles?...meaning a top tile, and 2 side tiles?

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/8/2011 15:46

@MrBeast, all palettes got a simple once over and those with levels/saturation and color value inconsistencies plus those not meeting 'certain colors' did not get a closer inspection of actually testing with a set 20 color image as mentioned by DawnBringer.

No need to spend time on a pallete heavy on the greens if the theme where a desert, ya noes?

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 12/8/2011 15:26

MrBeast: I'm sure all palettes were inspected by the judges, but since there's an intended theme to be considered; some palettes may have been excluded from the need for deeper probing (although they could still be very nice palettes in general).

Friend (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 12/8/2011 14:38

congrats winners :)  OH and brilliant palettes guiz :D

..and F for effort -_-

0xDB (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 12/8/2011 14:10

:o

Looking forward to seeing the theme for the collab. ^^

The real challenge will be to work without grays.

Minor bug in the post: Everyones name links to their pixeljoint gallery, except the second [thUg] link (the one next to the palette) which links to a forum profile.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/8/2011 14:02

Ismoetric is a fixed perspective, so it provides some unity to the piece, same as a rule determining scale. Eboy's fame may mean iso is more popular on google, but at PJ the majority of works submitted are non-isometric.

Christoballs (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 12/8/2011 13:58

Congratulations! I would've seen [thug], dpixel, Jinn and a3um ranked higher, however. Oh well! :)

Super17 (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 12/8/2011 13:52

Thanks so much for your votes, I didn't expected to be one of the winners! (However, I hoped for it, of course ). It was the first time I really tried to do a good palette and I think I learned a lot by making these.

Congratulation to the other winners, of course. Looking forward to the iso collab.

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 12/8/2011 13:46

My eyes bugged out a little when I noticed that on my userpage checking messages. O_O

Tarenken (Level 3 Stalker) @ 12/8/2011 13:42

I wish the collabs weren't iso. I can't draw an iso object to save my life :C

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 12/8/2011 13:38

"some palettes were tested, others not. " Is that even fair? I mean how it is possible to say if a pallete is good or not without testing it?

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/8/2011 13:38

Just put "Pixel Art" on google images, 99% of what you'll se will be isometric somehow!
Isn't it enough love?

But okay then, let's do it anyway! ;)

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/8/2011 13:33

Iso, in pixelart, deserves some love...hater

shampoop (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 12/8/2011 13:19

Congrats!  I really enjoyed being a part of this.  I feel like I learned a lot by starting with palette generation and then pixeling.  Can't wait to see what the new iso collab is(something with purple I hope).

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/8/2011 13:19

I don't want to spoil anything, but why iso again? ;/

This Week's Pixel Art

Fire Pagoda icon/pixelartThief Gal icon/pixelartDali Ville icon/pixelartSSBU: Zero Suit Samus icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app