Pixel Art Challenge: The New Bomber

icon

Challenge winner, atpalicis, wants you to redesign the classic NES Mega Man sprite:

The sprite must be all your own work - no editing existing sprites. Have a look at this thread over at Pixelation for some inspiration.

Canvas size: Max 32 x 32.
Colours: Max 8.
Transparency: Required, don't forget it counts as a colour!
Animation: Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 4/28/2014 00:01  |    18

Discussion

pthiers (Level 1 Thug) @ 5/5/2014 14:36

Pixeljoint is swarming with mega avatars

this was one fun challenge

Mijichu (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 5/5/2014 00:41

This might very well be the most active pixeljoint's been.. ever.

failureboy (Level 7 Assassin) @ 5/4/2014 23:04

Jeez, over 90 entries.  What's the most number of challenge entries ever?

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/4/2014 13:13

Any idea why my new piece is not showing in the main page? The preview is not over 10KB :(

Nevermind, it was fixed somehow.

jok (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/4/2014 12:20

I'm really ipressed by high level of entries and interesting designs in this challege!

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/4/2014 11:40

Previews have a use as avatars too which are 64x64 so doubling up a 32x32 piece in it's preview to make it a nice avatar shouldn't be an issue.   Thing is I don't even like displaying pixel art in 1x1 on modern resolutions.  It's pointlessly small.  You have to zoom in for every single piece which I find tedious.

inphy (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 5/4/2014 07:36

x2 preview of the same pixels isn't a bad thing imo since we can't zoom previews, it's still an actual preview and accurate to what's inside, but when the preview isn't a preview of the actual piece but a separate piece of its own like CELS' examples, it does feel a bit questionable.

atprises (Level 6 Commander) @ 5/4/2014 02:28

x2 bothers me because we have "+" and "-" available under the image  I just can't get ovet it. Probably we are entering the next phase in screen resolution technologies and we have to post pixel art x2 so we could see it better... pixels are getting smaller and smaller.. or idk!

CELS (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 5/4/2014 02:05

Oh, I'm not too bothered with the x2 previews, I guess I'm not as hardcore old skool as you. I was referring to the ones that were over 32 pixels tall at x1 scale.  So far, it's this and this and this. Not a big deal, but... well.

atprises (Level 6 Commander) @ 5/4/2014 01:58

I agree with you! There are entries that are not matching canvas size criteria even in the main file. Making the image x2 isn't right cuz it's 64x64 pixels... or it's just me? :/ fun is fun but we have to follow the rules cuz it's a challenge lol

CELS (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 5/3/2014 16:25

I hope the previews don't become a factor in this challenge. I mean, entries that have great previews that don't follow the challenge criteria, even if the actual submission do. Maybe that's something to specify for similar challenges in the future.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/1/2014 16:14

Ooh, yes you are write ADM! I hope he makes a last minute appearance!

J-Em (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 5/1/2014 15:29

I love to see Mega Man get drawn in different styles!

Zizka (Level 10 Operative) @ 4/29/2014 05:39

I think I'm finally going to participate in a challenge...!

skittle (Level 9 Nidan) @ 4/28/2014 17:41

We need Johanvinet for this challenge.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/28/2014 07:55

You can stick to NES specs if they floats your boat, but it's not a requirement.

CELS (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 4/28/2014 01:53

Looking forward to seeing some great animations this week.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 4/28/2014 01:33

I already did this a while ago, but I'm curious as to whether this is NES specs or not.  Seems a bit strange to say redesign it when it seems like it should have a purpose to it.  That sprite looks the way it does largely due to the NES graphical limitations.

This Week's Pixel Art

Wormwood icon/pixelartMecha 60 icon/pixelartPixel Bondage 1 icon/pixelartDorada icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app