Pixeljoint Survey

icon

Survey will close on Tuesday 28th of November!

Hi all, as you might have already read, Sedgemonkey is working on a brand new PJ build.

Besides fixing all of the bugs and drastically improving uptime, this also gives the opportunity to rethink our values and our features and prepare pixeljoint for the next decade.

What do you think should PJ look like? What kinds of art should be in the gallery, and what kind of functionality should it feature?

To collect your answers on both of these questions we've created a small survey . Please help us and fill it out!

All questions are optional, and it should take only 2 minutes to fill out the checkboxes. Of course you're more than welcome to leave us more detailed replies. Filling out this survey will help us set the direction for the future of this site.

Also, I'm aware that the PJ quality and NPA standard is sometimes considered to be controversial, and therefor a topic has also been opened in the forums to discuss in public what kind of artwork PJ should feature ideally.

Thank you for your input, and we'll try our very best to deliver. Pixel art and Pixeljoint will live on!

Posted by Hapiel @ 11/21/2017 09:43  |    24

Discussion

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 11/30/2017 02:21

First half of the survey results

Kasumi (Level 1 Rookie) @ 11/28/2017 05:29

I did the survey a bit ago, but forgot one thing. I'd like to see which pieces I have favorited from both the page itself and from listings. Deviantart and pixiv show a star: https://i.imgur.com/5jQgECM.png Pixeljoint's would be a heart, I suppose.

As for on the page itself, the heart icon could turn red and fill in if I had favorited that piece.

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/27/2017 00:54

That would be great, hope sedge accepts the offer for help.

pyrometal (Level 8 Guerrilla) @ 11/26/2017 06:42

Unfortunately no, not yet. Sedge has begun doing a few things in the background and we're awaiting for him to pull us into the development efforts. So hopefully sometime next year?

Zizka (Level 10 Operative) @ 11/26/2017 04:01

Do you guys have a general idea of when v.4 would be online?

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 11/25/2017 11:15

I assumed the bit about non-registered users meant that guests could leave comments or start WIP threads.  It would make more sense if the next iteration was more feed-like; hard to imagine in the current gallery-centric design.

I feel like the best way to deal with NPA / tool-assisted / loose artworks is to prominently display the color count and/or palette.  Community-sourced tags are another option -- if 43 users tag a piece as Index painting or Oekaki, that says a lot, without necessarily banning the piece.  Obviously these are non-trivial features, but they seem to be in the same spirit as features like the public queue.

I would second (or third, or fourth) the idea that the core service should remain free to whatever extent is possible.  I would though strongly support a more prominent placement of PJ's donation feature, and a unified manner of showing things like Patreon links (and while we're at it, Twitch, Twitter, Itch.io, Linkedin...) for registered users.  Obviously every line of code requires someone to write it, but this seems like low-hanging fruit (some lightweight templating and a few extra lines of db code to store the urls) compared to managing paid subscriptions.  It's the kind of thing that could be done in an hour with minimal risk of conflicts or side effects, were the project open-source -- wink wink nudge nudge (ok I'm done ;))

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 11/25/2017 10:15

To clarify on the features, such as paying or contributions of non-registered users:

I've made this list by combining the following: a similar list made by Pyrometal, Sedge's suggestions on what he'd wish to change, improvements from Fixeljoint,  my own feature suggestions, other mod suggestions topics that I've seen returning over the years, including all which I could possibly see work, independent of wether anyone has yet suggested if it would be a good idea or not.

I can't remember where the non registered users thing came from. I picked up paying for premium from the various discussions and mentions about this in the past. I think neither are likely to be implemented ;)

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/25/2017 09:03

I think the "pure PA" vs. "everything is welcome" is misleading, the latter should more appropriately read something like "tooled pixel art", not literally everything. And even appropriately labeled, I'm not sure what the score here will tell us about such a nuanced issue. Lots of good suggestions on the second page, but I'm not sure what "Gallery contributions by non-registered users" means exactly.

Theoden (Level 6 SWAT) @ 11/25/2017 02:07

Done.
I agree with monodrome, I hope PJ will stay focused on pixel art and not try to compete with sites similar to deviantart.

In addition, paying for exlcusive options sounds really bad to me. I hope we won't get that "pay to be featured in the front page" situation for PJ.

Looking forward to the new site, best of luck!

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 11/23/2017 14:52

I'll surely forward your notes on that to Sedge!

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 11/23/2017 14:50

Done.

On a related note, it would be great if new iterations of the site, at least the back-end, were open sourced.  Many of us are capable web programmers who would gladly contribute (via pull requests) to help optimize the site in ways a small or single-man team can't have time for.  PJ is very much a comminty-driven site, it makes sense to at least consider community-driven maintenance.

Mega_19 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 11/23/2017 14:27

it is done.

SethSpace (Level 1 Rookie) @ 11/23/2017 13:05

Done. ;D

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 11/23/2017 05:49

Done.

moondrome (Level 6 SWAT) @ 11/23/2017 02:15

done! I just wish you don't change too much guys. Pj is already awesome as it is. And please stay focused on pixel art. No need to compete with deviant art.

skittle (Level 9 Nidan) @ 11/22/2017 12:36

Hope we get a NPA gallery, that would be neat. Hopefully it would attract more people, just wonder if it's too late for that because of the reputation pj has garnered over the years.

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 11/22/2017 09:46

Done :)

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 11/22/2017 06:22

Thanks for all the replies so far guys! This gives a really good overview on the kind of features needed.

This survey will close on the 28th of November. I will publish a summary of the results soon after.

On the topic of what kind of entries should be in PJ there are clearly various opinions. It would be helpful if more people take part in the discussion in the forums to set a direction for our future.

Pixelart_kid (Level 6 SWAT) @ 11/21/2017 18:28

Good initiative, I already gave my answer! Thank you PJ!!

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 11/21/2017 16:37

Done :)

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 11/21/2017 15:06

Keep in mind that you can answer all these questions anonymously. Every voice helps!

A2J2TIWARI (Level 4 Murderer) @ 11/21/2017 14:22

Done. Just wanted to say a Big Thank you for Pixeljoint and all done for the community

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 11/21/2017 10:48

Good input, thanks! I guess reshaping of the messages will need to be done anyway if we were to reshape our standards.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 11/21/2017 10:35

Done. Actually I forgot one thing: the rejection messages are quite useless and confuse a bunch of ppl every week. They could be more specific and informative.

This Week's Pixel Art

lochness icon/pixelartfranken stain icon/pixelartBeef Teriyaki icon/pixelartVideo store icon/pixelart