Stray Pixels Winter 2017

icon

Stray Pixels, your semi-whenever pixel news update!

Useful links:

Retronator made a guide about the best pixel artist channels on YouTube!
Watch it here on YouTube

Cyangmou made a little overview about the pros and cons of a couple 2D game projections, featuring his own stunning artwork
Browse through it on Twitter

Saint11's tutorial animations are both insightful and pretty, and regularily new ones are added!

PJ notice board:

For Stray Pixels to be published more often, I need those scoops! Send me your links, announcements, shameless self promotion or other tips!

The poll has shown that many of you are interested in prized competitions. What shoud the competitions be about? What should the prizes be? Can you sponsor something? PM me, or comment below.

News icon compo is still going on. Bored in your holidays? Help us, pixel some sweet icons, and win points!

This might be your last chance to join the Pirates of ISObbean collab, only 13 tiles remain available!

Old time gallery feature:

Vic's last submission was in 2010, but his art looks as fresh as if it was made yesterday. He is especially clever at cleanliness at low resolutions. Some of my favorite's in his gallery are:

user    user     user

New pixel games:

Gecimen recommends Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps And Beans
It's a retro beat em up style arcade game with a lot of classy pixel art graphics. Smooth animations, and super detailed backgrounds!

Speer was released a week ago! I haven't played it yet, but this low res puzzle platformer looks very cute!

Posted by Hapiel @ 12/28/2017 04:19  |    7

Discussion

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/4/2018 06:27

I've only now just realized that I had saved some links way earlier which were supposed to make it into here:

Gorillaz clip with pixel art

Retro magazine about game projections

Water color pixel art book

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 12/28/2017 14:18

I'll put you in charge of coming up with something epic, if I remember I might send you a message before I publish the next one ;). And for everyone, to keep more of these coming: Send me news!

PixelDust (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 12/28/2017 14:09

using the same naming format as the Top pixel art showcase probably the easiest and best way to go about it

or you can just give it a cool sounding name like DRAGON, ADONIS or uuhhmm NET NEUTRALITY

Stray Pixels: (12) Bit-Dragon

the number can be replaced by what month it is
Jan = 1
Feb = 2
et.....

But Yeah

Meapers (Level 2 Dealer) @ 12/28/2017 13:48

Oh, I really enjoy seeing these! I like the old time gallery feature and I spent some time watching and going through the links bookedmarked a few of them, keep up the good work Hapiel!

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 12/28/2017 13:27

Oopsie, sorry southies! I hadn't thought about that, even though I hosted the summer-winter challenge ages ago..
Any suggestions on what I should call future episodes? A month suggests there will be one every month...

PixelDust (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 12/28/2017 11:49

(last time I checked Australia isn't the only place where it is summer and not the only ones that will riot about it Hehe)

I'm not usually the one to follow along tutorials

but the Saint11's (Miniboss) tutorials are really helpful

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 12/28/2017 10:39

(waits for Australian members to protest that it isn't winter)

I dig this old time gallery feature.

This Week's Pixel Art

Squigly icon/pixelart[BotB] industry plant icon/pixelartBeholder icon/pixelartTreeyad icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app