Pixel Art Challenge: Press Any Button

icon

Some of the best moments of 80s were when you finally saw the title screen of a Commodore 64 game after a really long wait.

This week, we want you to draw a title screen of a game for Commodore 64. The game can be an original one you imagined, or an existing one with a different title screen. You must use the C64 palette with fat pixels (2x1 horizontal pixels) and C64 resolution.

Canvas Size - Exactly 320 x 200 (horizontal)
Colours - Max 16. C64 palette:

Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by Gecimen @ 3/11/2019 06:27  |    16

Discussion

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 3/17/2019 07:52

Yeah, this is something templates are good for.  I was working on a little script for making these before my computer bit it :X

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 3/16/2019 12:44

Or easier yet, have an example picture. You can not assume everyone even knows what the C64 is.

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 3/16/2019 10:56

That's one way of putting it but I said C64 resolution in the challenge description (which obviously is not 640x200). I don't think anyone else will think that way. Had I said 160x200 that would cause a lot more confusion.

But next time I put up a fat pixels challenge (if any) I'll state in all possible ways to avoid confusion.

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 3/16/2019 00:43

Seems like the 320x200 thing is ambiguous. There already is one entry which is 640x200 aka 320 widepixels wide, instead of 160.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/15/2019 03:40

If you're using Photoshop:

View > Pixel Aspect Ratio > Anamorphic 2:1 (2)

railslave (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 3/14/2019 14:45

http://multipaint.kameli.net/ Here we go, this will not only pixel stuff at the right ratio/resolution, but obey the machines restrictions

+ its 100% authentic to the art packages on that machine that 'couldnt' let you go over the limits

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 3/14/2019 06:08

Well in that case I don't have any choice but to accept such entries :/

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/14/2019 05:55

You're welcome =)

You should allow both now in case someone started working on a vertical piece with tall pixels!

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 3/14/2019 05:40

This is the Ptoing-version of the C64-palette, but the provided palette contains 21 colors (even if the image only uses the proper 16). Save a lot of trouble and just use a gfx-editor that works with indexed palettes.

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 3/14/2019 03:50

My English sucks. Thanks for the warning Manupix.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 3/13/2019 19:50

I can't seem to get consistent colors out of the image, so will be using those given at https://lospec.com/palette-list/commodore64

If anyone is struggling with formatting or palettes, please reach out before sunday so we can assit you!

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/13/2019 07:17

So, "Exactly 320 x 200 (vertical)" is wrong? Should be horizontal?

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 3/13/2019 05:48

A recent example from Snugboat.

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 3/13/2019 05:47

Just like it is on the actual C64. W:2 H:1.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 3/12/2019 06:25

I assume 2W1H. i.e.

shm31 (Level 4 Button Man) @ 3/12/2019 05:37

This challenge is definitely my jam, but I am a little confused, when you say 2:1 vertical, do you mean 2W1H or 1W2H ?

This Week's Pixel Art

Drum Bathing icon/pixelartPETSCII Alien Invasion icon/pixelartRock This Ocean! icon/pixelartSecretary birb icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app