Pixel Art Challenge: Be Like Mike

icon

Challenge winner Quiara wants you to create a Punch Out sprite.

One of the most iconic games of the 8-bit era was Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! The character animations in that game were fairly impressive for its day... but what would its cast look like in 2020?

Create a sprite of a fighter facing forward, following the restrictions below. As a bonus challenge you can try and match the style of the original fighters.

For some inspiration, here are a bunch of original character animations.

The sprites need to use the NES palette:

Canvas Size - Min: 30x80, max: 64x130 (when using minimum sizes, the sprite needs to touch all walls of the canvas)
Colors - Max 7, 6 from the palette + transparency.
Transparency - Yes, required.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by Hapiel @ 9/21/2020 00:52  |    8

Discussion

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 9/25/2020 12:20

Nice!!! Thanks for the correction! When looking at sprites I could only find ones that used 6 colors, so my explanation seemed obvious, but also a bit tooo simple, haha!

7Soul (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 9/25/2020 11:22

Fun fact: Little Mac is a background, not a sprite! (same for the referee) He's able to appear in front of the opponent's sprite thanks to the priority flag, which is the same trick some games use to make the player walk behind background elements

Thanks to this they were able to use all sprite palettes for the opponents, as well as make them so big and well animated

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 9/25/2020 09:06

That is correct! There can be 4 3c+t palettes on the screen at once, 1 is reserved for the player, 1 for the referee, which leaves 2 sprite palettes for the opponent.

I would love to dive further into the NES restrictions, but I think it would be too complex for a PJ challenge...

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 9/25/2020 08:34

> Colors - Max 7, 6 from the palette + transparency.

There's no great way of wording this but I guess we're trying to reflect the idea of combining 2 sprite palettes, each having 3 opaque colors + knockout (making 6 opaque colors and trans couted twice?)

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 9/21/2020 14:40

I agree with Quiara.

Also, regarding extremes, just to be clear if you go for minimum sizes I do expect that the sprite touches all edges of the canvas!

Quiara (Level 6 Made) @ 9/21/2020 12:41

Yep, that'd be fine - although I am extremely amused by the idea of fighter that's 30x130 and you are now obligated to do that.

SeDiceBisonte (Level 5 Lieutenant) @ 9/21/2020 12:21

I've been a bit busy lately but I'm really hoping to be able to do one or two of these.

Regarding the canvas size, am I correct in thinking that you don't need to scale the width and height meaning that you could theoretically have a sprite that's 30x130 or 64x80? I doubt one would want to, but I thought I'd check with the most extreme examples.

7Soul (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 9/21/2020 08:44

Ohh I like this theme

This Week's Pixel Art

The mask icon/pixelartThe crystal icon/pixelartTuft on a Walk icon/pixelartDancing Flame icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app