Pixel Art Challenge: The Wide West

icon

Create a wild west scene scene or character using double wide pixels.

This challenge comes from PJ member sjd_sjd_

Canvas: Max 320 (width) x 200 (height). This is the export size, so 160 wide pixels max.
Colors: Max 16, selected from this Amstrad CPC palette (so don't use all colors)

Transparency: Optional
Animation: Optional

Posted by Hapiel @ 1/10/2022 01:30  |    11

Discussion

Hapiel (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/11/2022 13:39

Haha, yes, but I believe there are also wide pixels that are like 1:1.2 ratio on some CRTs or something like that! And Aseprite calls them 'double-wide pixels', so that's probably where that term came from

Eggy (Level 5 Detective) @ 1/11/2022 04:00

I just checked for Pro Motion NG since that's what I use. You can indeed get wide pixels, as a matter of fact you can get any dimension you like; go to File->Project Settings (or press the Settings button in the Create new Project window) and you'll see the Pixel Size option which lets you modify your pixel (and it will affect the canvas too, so canvas size should be 160x200). To get wide pixels you need to set the pixel size to 2x1 like so:

jok (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/11/2022 03:28

imho DOUBLE wide pixels are 4x1 - wide pixels are wide enought - 2x1 ;)

so it's basicly standard CPC lowres 320x200 wide pixels - nice compo idea.

yuanhai (Level 7 Cuttlefish) @ 1/11/2022 03:06

After selecting wide pixels,the maximum canvas setting is 160*200.When you output an image, the width of the image will be twice the width of the canvas.

QueenKami (Level 6 Centaur) @ 1/11/2022 02:32

Oh! I just checked and yeah, I see the double wide options on Aseprite! I've never worked in them so I hadn't ever really looked before at the advanced options lol
So I should set my canvas at 320x160 (or well, at max) to work on it? (Sorry for so many questions, this is untreadded territory for me lol)

Hapiel (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/11/2022 01:57

What software do you use? If you're lucky, it has a simple way to do it, if not, we'll invent one for you ;)

One option is to work in half size ( for example 160x200) and then scale up the width (320x160), that way you get double wide pixels.

Another option is to see if you can make a brush that is 2 px wide in your software.

And if you use aseprite or proMotion (and probably some other software too) there might be a wide pixel mode built in..

QueenKami (Level 6 Centaur) @ 1/10/2022 22:46

Is there any guide or anything on how to do this? I don't exactly understand what size I have to start at or how exactly to even do it.

b236 (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/10/2022 06:48

Hapiel (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/10/2022 06:46

Yeah, that whole thing didn't make much sense, did it?

It's supposed to be this:

Thanks for the sharp eye!

b236 (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/10/2022 06:24

or did you mean 200x160 instead of 160x200?

b236 (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/10/2022 06:23

shouldn't the width before export be max 80 and not 100?

This Week's Pixel Art

Archery icon/pixelartshadow guy icon/pixelartObi-wan Kenobi icon/pixelartPewter City Gym icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app