Pixel Art Challenge: Book Cover

icon

This week we want to to paint a cover for your favourite book. It can depict a scene from the book or just a neat design.

Canvas: Max 175 x 230
Colors: Max 30
Transparency: No
Animation: No

Posted by Hapiel @ 1/24/2022 01:08  |    15

Discussion

Hapiel (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/29/2022 05:58

Not for this challenge, sorry! Portrait books only

jok (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/28/2022 09:39

What about horizontal composition?

I mean  like canvas rotated 90'

Hapiel (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/27/2022 01:32
Sure!

vrine (Level 8 Megalodon) @ 1/26/2022 20:53

Are existing cover designs okay for this challenge?

Taks (Level 6 Chrysanthemum) @ 1/24/2022 23:08

Good challenge. tho id want to reread some

yuanhai (Level 7 Cuttlefish) @ 1/24/2022 22:24

I feel like there will be a lot of people participating this time.

Hapiel (Level 11 Bonsai) @ 1/24/2022 14:53
Those with drab covers will then badly need a new one designed by you! No need to do a boring job like they did.

But yes, of course comic books are fine too. However, the cool part about doing a cover of a non visual book is that you get to decide on how the characters look, whereas with a comic book this has already been largely decided by the authors...

QueenKami (Level 6 Centaur) @ 1/24/2022 11:44

I'll give it some thought while I'm at work today! Decide what I want to do, out of books I've read they have very drab covers at least or ones with bands on the front and wouldn't translate well in pixel art 😂

Thank you for the encouragement too! Looking forward to seeing what you and others cook up ❤️

Amazonite (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 1/24/2022 05:17

Thank you for the clarification.

yuanhai (Level 7 Cuttlefish) @ 1/24/2022 05:07

I think only the front is needed. Because the largest canvas is a vertical rectangle.

Amazonite (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 1/24/2022 04:54

I'm a bit confused. Do we design the whole book cover including the back and the spine? or does this challenge simply mean to say that we shall only design the front?

gawrone (Level 11 Pixeljoint) @ 1/24/2022 02:39

I do relate with that experience. I have ADD and reading for me was always difficult (I very often have to get back the whole paragraph, becasue I was following the text with my eyes, but my mind was eslwhere). I feel that pressure all around and I do not agree with the non-reader shaming. 1) Becasue not everyone have to like to read books same as not everyone have to like watching shows, and 2) becasue it is not encouraging at all, but rather alienating people from books. It is not a better way to consume stories but a very different experience, not essential in life but still worth having.

Back to the challenge. In my opinion graphic novel is still a book so you can go with your favorite comic. I will defend that entry if I will have to ;) Also you can cheat a little and make a cover for a book of which you watched an adaptation movie or show and really liked it and heard that the books are good too

QueenKami (Level 6 Centaur) @ 1/24/2022 02:24

I read things every once in a while, just not a lot. I feel like I have a lot of focus issues, if I can't do it in one sitting and listen to it then I won't finish it in most cases, though audio books do help. All through school we had reading competitions where your scores on PC tests were publicly shared within your classes and I was never a good reader/info retainer so I got a LOT of bad scores, which turned into public humiliation (not that bad lmao) for me, which in turn killed most if not all of my enjoyment for reading. I don't like to do it now didn't like to do it then. Didn't mean to life dump there, but I gues I have a silly reason for not liking to read and no real reason to do so now because it's not on a test or anything.

I'll look through some book covers, see what looks interesting and go from there! There are a few book covers I've seen that are pretty cool.

gawrone (Level 11 Pixeljoint) @ 1/24/2022 02:15

Fun fact:
This thing uses an algoritm to generate a list of best books, based on other best books lists, mostly those ranked by specialists not fans, so I think we could say it is the closest to being objective as we possibly can get?

Anyway I'm almost sure that the highest ranked graphic novel here is Watchmen by Alan Moore on 405 spot which in my opinion is pretty high if you consider how many great books are there, and how bad rep graphic novels get. I guess you won't find any more "actual" proof that graphic novels are books than this, besides winning an argumentative debate.

But also, try to read non graphic novel books aswell, and if you have trouble, difficulty or inability to read phisical books, (or no time becasue you work on pixels like many of us :P) go audiobooks - it is pretty easy nowadays in mobile apps and it's really worth it.

QueenKami (Level 6 Centaur) @ 1/24/2022 01:49

Are we limited strictly to books or would comics be appropriate? I don't really read so I don't even know where to start lol

This Week's Pixel Art

Mori Calliope icon/pixelartForest icon/pixelartThe Leper icon/pixelartKing Kobra icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app