A Path to Greater Good

icon

So, the first thing what comes in mind when you hear sprite comic?

Crappy stories made with ripped megaman, sonic and mario sprites?  Yes, thats what I said too.

But here is a different one!
Pixel artist Neorice, who has also been making sprites for battle for Wesnoth and is working on the game Frogratto is since the end of november 2008 writing a webcomic!

Three different stories of three different heroes in the same world. Beautiful detailed double pixel sprites, on non pixel art backgrounds. At the moment there are 124 unique pages, and it is really worth the time to read them all!

Have a look at this webcomic!

Posted by Hapiel @ 4/14/2009 05:48  |    16

Discussion

Shawn (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 4/19/2009 16:38

neorice makes my pants wet

MdNight17 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 4/18/2009 17:30

The quality of the backgrounds did improve  ALOT props for that. The characters are fantastic and the portraits as well, I was little dessapointed when you change to bubble messages isntead of the portraits it was easier to follow. The comic is not that funny however it does have a few jokes here and there but it feels more of Manga type thing but with pixel art.

MFlanaga (Level 4 Ensign) @ 4/17/2009 11:27

I just read the whole thing, I understand the practicality of speach bubbles, but I do say that I loved the portraits quite a bit. I still laugh thinking about Eloy's glug portrait and the googly eyed old man.

I didn't really notice the background transition, though I was probably too busy oggling the loverly pixelcharacters~

Neoriceisgood (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 4/17/2009 09:23

Thanks for the more elaborate reply.

As you may guess, I actually agree with you wholeheartedly on almost all the points you've made which is exactly the reason why a lot of the layout properties have changed quite a lot during the short liftetime of the comic.

I'm still trying to improve it as much as I can as I go on, I actually "use" this comic to improve both my pixelart & background/painting skills as I go on; I'll be honest in saying that I honestly can't look at the first 30 pages anymore due to the terrible backgrounds I used for them.

Thanks for the feedback though, it's far more helpful than a simple "it's bad".

Kind regards,

Neorice

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 4/17/2009 07:31

I gave it another shot actually neorice, life needs distractions. After I got through the first bit, (I have to admit I really didn't like burk at first) and especially when you moved into using speech bubbles (looking at the comic, reading it, looking back at the comic, then moving down to the next panel really messes with the flow of it all).

The portraits felt kind of off, not bad, but rushed (I can understand why they would be), and the whole thing was probably a better idea on paper. The sprites themselves were ace. The style of the backgrounds work, but at the same time look really odd sometimes with very thick outlines and little detail in parts, where the sprites are very detailed.

My first impression was "oh great its another fantasy sprite comic with no thought behind it", perhaps you can see where I'm coming from with that, also factor in I'm not much of a webcomic fan. As I got into the other stories and it got interesting instead of being an introduction. But hey take my words lightly, I'm far from an established critic.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 4/17/2009 06:02

ah, the artist himself finally logs into pixeljoint again!!

Will you fill your gallery now as well? ;)

Damian (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 4/17/2009 04:58

Tis a good read. I plan on readin the other 16 pages now.
I've got to book mark this.

I agree the puns are just great, But trueth being, it took a few pages to get into.
Though to say its bad is a bit silly. Come on! The art work is good, and so are the pixels.
I don't think I've ever read a "sprite comic", and so I've gound this really interesting.

Support the guy ;)

Edit:
Sites not working ¬_¬

BruceJuice (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 4/17/2009 02:17

This was a very good read with excellent art. The story was quite captivating....I have a new web-comic to add to my comic feed. :D

Some positives: Each page can stand alone and not require a lengthy explanation. That's a great quality for a comic that plans to aquire new readers over time. As for writing and story-telling ability, it's great. I do like the subtle puns and jokes, some of them caught me off guard and gave me a few laughs.

Some negitives: The text gets hard to read, it just needs more contrasts. Just make it darker on that white background. I can't think of anything specific, but be sure to stay away from anything that might appear to be too chliche'.

Neoriceisgood (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 4/17/2009 01:55

@Setzer

If it's that bad, c&c would be appreciated.

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 4/16/2009 23:53

Neoriceisnoob! :D

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 4/16/2009 23:04

Neorice got very inspired by modest destiny, and a lot of his comic ideas are based on it. Therefor I looked it up, but one or 2 of 'm did not get me interested.

rehugun (Level 5 Sniper) @ 4/16/2009 22:39

Got to comic 101 tonight, now my eyes hurt O__O

Tarenken (Level 3 Stalker) @ 4/16/2009 21:50

Neorice does have a very... unique style, but I like it.

I'll check it out when I have some spare time.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 4/16/2009 21:37

I thought it was pretty bad and couldn't even get through the first part of the story, but then the only sprite comic I've ever enjoyed was a modest destiny.

Dex (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/16/2009 20:36

what the artwork is awesome ;o

i've been following this on and off, it's really cool and neorice works really hard on it...! support him! :D

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/16/2009 20:06

i do recomend it, besides the artwork.

This Week's Pixel Art

SoloRifle 3000 icon/pixelartEnergy Rifle icon/pixelartIllusion Gal icon/pixelartGirls & Birds icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app