Challenge Awards: Etch A Pixel

Discussion

eclep (Level 5 Detective) @ 2/20/2013 03:41

The entries that didn't win are displayed in a random order, so you didn't end last (or at least you will never know if you did)

And for your question, there is no way to see how many people voted for your entry.

Mishok (Level 1 Private) @ 2/20/2013 00:35

I am in last place, but not disappointed. It was one of my first pix-art, and I gained some expiriens. Hope, my next works will be better. Thanks for such great think as "week challenge".

And one little question - Where can I see how many people voted for me and other friends?

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 2/18/2013 16:02

Well, I felt the same way when I was new in the community. I LOVED some of my pieces and always wondered why they got so few comments/faves, or green ribbon or even 3rd place in a challenge where 5 people participated.

Then in time I learned two things. First off, my pieces weren't that good. Some lacked in detail or color use, some had poor pixel art technique etc. Back then I didn't have the eye to see that.

Secondly I hadn't posted enough work to make anyone care about me. There are literally thousands of people who post 1 or 2 works and disappear and PJers know this. They comment on less talented but more devoted people rather than people that will never come back to read the comments again.

If you become a commoner here, you'll get lots of comments and become an even better artist, that's it.

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/18/2013 12:11

uncontested first place, congrats! also well deserved 2nd place :)

@hermit. well.. lot's of guys, and probably even lots of pj-ers like kaley cuoco, but that alone doesn't guarantee full votes. referenced pictures aren't  consired very creative, especially compared to the 1st place idea or luigi_mu's for example (and i honestly could still kiss myself every minute for the monkey-headicopter-idea :))

your statement reminds me of my reaction to the result of the first demoparty-graphics's competition i've entered back in the days. was totally nervous during the price giving ceremony but actually finished last with only the two votes of me and a friend. restrospectively well deserved btw :) i'm sure though that your piece has gathered more than just 2 votes!

bottom line is: try to judge more objectively, compare other's creative effort with your's and ask yourself if you could have come up with the idea and could have realized it in the same (or a better) quality. i for one wouldn't have the stamina to do something like sapei did.. in just 2 days!

crozier (Level 6 Hitman) @ 2/18/2013 06:29

Congrats to the winners!

Well the thing about this challenge was there was a lot of people entering. Sometimes with these challenges people will have preferences to known artists on the site. A good drawing can surpass this bias, and sometimes whether or not something can win can be determined if it has lots of comments and favs. Your drawing was decent Hermit, but I did not vote for it. And I also only voted for one of the three that won. See thats the good thing about weekly challenges (when a lot of people enter) is the variety. Some people voted on if you completed the bonus challenge, some voted based on style, some based on complexity of the design, etc. And in the long run the best piece usually wins.

I am sorry that you did not receive a comment, but sometimes this happens.

Everyone wants to win, but you can't win them all.

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 2/18/2013 00:51

I thought I commented in the thread, my bad. =(

I am honestly surprised myself by the placings to be honest. The snake and the mouse one I thought was sure to win.

Hermit (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/18/2013 00:43

I'm a bit disappoined. When I uploaded my piece, I thought it was quite good and a contender for a place. Not only did it not place (which is not my greatest concern), but it didn't even receive a single comment. I guess I must be delusional or something...

This Week's Pixel Art

Oracle's son mask icon/pixelartmore Tifa Lockhart icon/pixelartpuffycharms slingshot icon/pixelartBloodBorne:The doll icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app