The latest collection of PJer finds, creations and other stuff.
• Color in Games: An in-depth look at one of game design's most useful tools on Gamasutra HERE. Found by Mandrill
• P-Rex is a Java based pixel app developed by DraggonFantasy see details in the forum HERE. Found by jalonso
• Rust Bucket is a turn based dungeon crawler from Nitrome with their ususal quality and charm. Found by Fusionnist
• Bitsize Wars is a fun looking action and stragety game on Steam. Found by Yanrishatum
• Yellow After Life has some interesting reads on their site but also produce games that look great and fun to play HERE. Found by Yanrishatum
• The creators of Steel Assault are offering refunds after some changes in game style HERE. Found by 8 Bit Dreams
• Oh Sir! If you think your best friend's mother is a hamster and your boss smells of elderberries, play Oh...Sir!, a jolly video game about dead parrots and insulting the *BLEEP* out of your beloved loved ones. Featuring some great pixels by Perski. Found by skamocore
• Redshift Blueshift is a tournament-ready pong-like 2D shooter on Steam HERE with some great looking pixels by Will Blanton (Twitter). Found by skamocore
• Super Mutant Alien Assault: The Citizen Kane of Super Crate Box clones - dance with death through randomised rooms to clear your space freighter of irradiated aliens in a brutal arcade platformer shooter stuffed to the brim with unlockable weapons, explosives, special abilities and defense moves. Featuring great pixels by vierbit. Art from game HERE. Found by skamocore
• Fortune Fighters is a free mmo arena/brawler and features some awesome pixels by FlyGuy and needs your support on Steam. VOTE HERE! Follow @fortunefighters. Available for PC/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS. Found by jalonso
• Pixel Types - Cyanotopes created with GameBoy camera HERE. Found by 8 Bit Dreams
• FM Twons Marty - A gallery with some interesting mix of pixels, wide pixels and hybrids. An article on this blog HERE. Found by 8 Bit Dreams
• Tel Aviv-based artist gustavo viselner has turned some of the most recognizable movie characters, quotes and sequences into a pixelated 8-bit poster series. See them on Behance HERE and see more of viselner’s creations on his site HERE. Found by 8 Bit Dreams
• Welcome to PIXEL TRIP. 4 installations created last year by design school ECV students, in partnership with the subway authority RATP in Paris, France. There seems to be several versions of each image though I couldn't find clean pixel versions. Check them out on some of the students' web pages: 1, 2. Found by Manupix
• IMGXIS is a useful userscript (requires tampermonkey for Chrome or Greasemonkey for Firefox extensions) by YellowAfterlife (yal.cc) that changing image viewing to way more comfortable. Dynamic background color, zoom, movement, no blur, tiling of image and other features. Found and highly recommended by Yanrishatum
• Publisher Penguin Random House, which you may known from their trade of pulverising trees and inking symbols on their remains to sell as ‘books’, have created a new range of children’s classic literature with a fun twist: the covers feature videogame-inspired 8-bit pixel art.
The Puffin Pixels Series contains eight classic tales many of us read as juniors: The Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Dracula, Frankenstein, and two ‘Tales of’ anthologies: Ancient Egypt and Greek Heroes.
The nature of these stories lend themselves wonderfully to video game-inspired art: Treasure Island’s new cover looks like a scene from Monkey Island, and the likes of King Arthur and Robin Hood have distinct old-school RPG vibes.
The hardcover copies are available HERE from the Penguin website for $11.99 each. Found by 8 Bit Dreams
PJv3 is up and running but bugs and glitches abound. Please pm a Mod or post your find in the forum thread PJv3 Bugs and Glitches
• 'Fixeljoint' Firefox extension HERE Chrome extension HERE. Any question PM EdJr. Created by EdJr
• A blurry pixel for Chrome HERE. This is entirely untested by us and the fixes below have proven successful so its just here as an extra. Found and sent in by a non-PJer.
The latest ISO collab ISOtopes is almost completed. Just a few tiles left. Join the fun HERE.
OPP is back and better than ever. Join the fun!
As always, if you find interesting pixel related things to post in the next StrayPixels send in as news or PM jalonso with details.
We edit and fix all typos so don't be shy.